Oh how fun OBTs are.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I rehoused my OBT...perhaps 3" or so, unsexed...to a larger enclosure about a month now. In it's previous home it spent about 2 months as an obligate burrower (molting 2 times). After that it came out and webbed the ENTIRE enclosure full of a tunnel system that would seem a maze to any of us and lived terrestrially. After the rehousing it has decided to live the arboreal life and I have not seen it on the soil (though I've fed it 3 huge crix, and they all dissapeared).

During this arboreal phase it's going through (teens!) it's created a number of avic like webs, however they are sideways! And to boot, it's destroyed these structes 4/5 times and recreated the same webbing in a different spot!

OBTs...the most underrated T in the hobby due to their bad reputation. I LOVE and ADORE their personality. They are so spunky!

How about you guys? Do you agree? Disagree? Got any other fun OBT memories you can share?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't call them underrated at all! I think most keeper have at least one, and besides who doesn't love OBTs! :D Now the bit about the bad reputation is true, but I don't think it's ever made some one shy away from getting one, unless they probably weren't prepared for one to begin with, even then...

OBTs really are amazing T's though. I got mine as an adult female, and I've always kept her as an arboreal and some of the webbing she's created has been just amazing and it was always fun to watch her tear it down and create something entirely new from time to time (she does this about every month or so).

I acctually had to pull her out to redo her enclosure, since I glued the cork bark in which isn't good for the breeding plans I have for her, I'd never be able to get to the sac. lol! She threw the BIGGEST hissy fit when we tried to take the cork bark out, it took us fifteen minutes trying to get it out and not pull her along with it (or break off a leg).

After we successfully got the cork bark out we tried to get her into to a seperate container and she bolted! It She took an entire tour of my room before we finally wrangled her up! What fun! At least putting her back was easy! lol.

Needless to say I'm excited to see what she does in her re-designed enclosure!

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm glad to hear that yours' is as fun as mine! I didn't mean underrated as in people that know about them underrate them (Seriously...constantly one of my favorite Ts) I meant more people should enjoy them. I'm willing to be a LOT of enthusiasts keep away from OBTs, Pokies, etc, just because of the rep. But they are missing out!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like when crickets walk over my OBT's burrow, and they just disappear!!

--Dan
My OBT never burrowed, so I never got this from her, but I do get this with my little H. gigas slings! I find it hilarious. :)

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Pterinochilus murinus is probably the most valued tarantula in my entire collection. My big female and my communal of an unknown quantity of 1 1/2 year old spiderlings give me great pleasure. My female is huge and super aggressive and I LOVE her. Diane

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Pterinochilus murinus is probably the most valued tarantula in my entire collection. My big female and my communal of an unknown quantity of 1 1/2 year old spiderlings give me great pleasure. My female is huge and super aggressive and I LOVE her. Diane
1 1/2 year old slings!? Shouldn't they be at least close to adult size? That's cool you have a communal, btw.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1 1/2 year old slings!? Shouldn't they be at least close to adult size? That's cool you have a communal, btw.
Most of them are over 2.5 inches. I will expect to see a few mature males popping up in the next six months. I just throw crix in the tank and watch them disappear. There are still a few smaller specimens in there. Obviously those who "eat the fastest get the mostest". Diane

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
what tank size did you rehouse to?. I have 1 same size about 3 inches. I have owned it almost 2 weeks now. I have seen it roaming the tank twice. Rest of the time it stays in the hollow log 1/2 supplied as a hide. A heavy web veil 1/2 way back keeps me from seeing anything but a little orange. I have noticed 1 thing however. It has dug a small hole in the substrate at the back corner of the log. crickets normally are drawn to this hole for some stupid reason. They check in but dont check out. haha
I noticed when it was roaming the tank it seemed scared, skittish but not stressed. Second time it was out roaming I changed the water dish. The Sunburst moved to the other side of the tank calmly. I have yet to see a defensive pose.
I received a Cobalt Blue at the same time. I think it spends more time in the defense pose than anything else. Starting to think it is how the blue says hi :)