Odd behavior?

Xie

Arachnopeon
Ok, I'm new at this scorpion ownership thing. So far so good. However I was wondering about something. My scorp. an Emp. keeps doing this weird headstand thing with his butt in the air could someone tell me what the heck its doing... I have no clue.

His legs are all on the ground, his pincers in the air, with his rear end sticking in the air and his stinger against his back. Is this normal?

Thanks, Xie.:confused:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Perfectly normal mines do that all the time. It might just be grooming it self but I've seen them do it just for the hell of it. Usually when there aren't any other scorpions around and they're near a heat source.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeup, it's normal. If you want to see something interesting throw a bunch of sterylized plastic leaves in there, chances are it will eventually drag them out of the way and pile them into a corner or something. That's what mine does anyway.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, I've seen my Emperors do that, it is curious behaviour indeed. I have a male who is by himself, he stacks bark chips in the corner of his tank. It's really neat to watch him move them.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think they just don't like a bunch of clutter around their burrow. A clear area would make it easier to ambush prey.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's called stilting....it's a thermoregulatory behaviour scorpions do to reduce the degree of heat being dumped onto the body. It works via the principles of convective cooling. High temps and/or high humidity can initiate the behaviour.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mark,

Females will also stilt before giving birth. Like a few weeks beforehand, not the birthing basket. Is this something different?

Mike

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, would that help in the birthing process? I guess if the embryo's were cooler they would theoritcally conract and be easier to birth?

Mike

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, would that help in the birthing process? I guess if the embryo's were cooler they would theoritcally conract and be easier to birth?

Mike
I'd assume it's more to do with temperature regulation for proper development. The metabolism of scorpions increases quite considerably with temperature which if left unchecked could create problems. I seriously doubt any studies have been done on the effects of stilting on embryos so its just a guess. But stilting is very much thermoregulation. The same reason why burrowers will move up and down the burrow to find the location they desire and its not uncommon for them to stilt at the burrow entrance when its humid.

Xie

Arachnopeon
Mark,

Females will also stilt before giving birth. Like a few weeks beforehand, not the birthing basket. Is this something different?

Mike
You were right. She just gave birth. Thanks for all the help everyone. I didn't even know my scorp was a girl. :p:razz:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes. normal.

I seriously think there should be a Sticky Thread explaining all the things emps do that newbs thing is strange. I have no problem and always enjoy answering the same questions over and over again....but a sticky explaining all their behavior would be quite helpful to many around here it seems.

things like,

my emp isnt eating: Make sure your temps and humidity are right, and if thats right its normal, then list other reasons it would be not eating.....
why is my emp trying to climb the corner of the tank, is something wrong!?: No, its normal.

Just some examples of stuff i mean, but a sticky could answer these and all the other common emp questions in greater detail.

Metallicaman999

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes. normal.

I seriously think there should be a Sticky Thread explaining all the things emps do that newbs thing is strange. I have no problem and always enjoy answering the same questions over and over again....but a sticky explaining all their behavior would be quite helpful to many around here it seems.

things like,

my emp isnt eating: Make sure your temps and humidity are right, and if thats right its normal, then list other reasons it would be not eating.....
why is my emp trying to climb the corner of the tank, is something wrong!?: No, its normal.

Just some examples of stuff i mean, but a sticky could answer these and all the other common emp questions in greater detail.
ok but who cares, people answer them anyway and they all have no problem with it, most people who ask these questions are new to the site anyway.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok but who cares, people answer them anyway and they all have no problem with it, most people who ask these questions are new to the site anyway.
I never said i had a problem answering questions..i love to. But it would be benificial for new people to check out a sticky that may have answers to alot of their questions right there.