Odd behavior in GBB

Maurelius

Arachnopeon
My GBB recently molted (~1-2 weeks ago) and has since been avoiding the substrate. Apparently it removed 90% of its webbing today and is hanging out on the walls and the top an awful lot. Any ideas?

I wasn't sure if this was a "rosea" effect, where it's just what they do, or if it might be something more serious. I can think of a great number of variables, but none that may actually pertain to its situation.

He's kept in a small critter keeper, is about 1.5 inches (legspan), 3 inches of substrate, a small coke bottle top for water.

I note no small insects or mites crawling around as well as nothing on/around it. Also, if there's something actually occurring in its enclosure, is it a factor that may be widespread?

Thanks.

Addendum: is it wise to remove "old" webbing; that is, webbing that has "water damage" or is just generally old and whatnot?

Last edited:

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a similar problem with a c. fimbriatus. I ended up losing it. But I still don't know why. I will have to tag this thread to see how it ends up for you.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it's any consolation to you, of all of my Ts the GBB is the class wierdo - he displays behaviors that none of my other Ts display anymore, or never did in the first place. That's why I love him ... I'd say give yours a chance, he may very well be, well, just being a GBB!

Regarding the substrate, Honeybee installs wall-to-wall webbing whenever he gets re-housed - he fixes it so that he never has to touch the substrate - that's interesting that yours has a distaste for substrate - may it's a GBB trait. And as for clearing the webbing, I don't know how it could hurt, it must happen in the wild all the time, and GBBs seem to delight in webbing, so conclude from that what you will ... I usually leave the webbing alone ...

Last edited:

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i agree with Killy. my GBB does things my other no longer do or never did.

Socrates(my GBB) has also webbed the whole bottom...wall to wall of his enclosure so he never touches the substrate.

so it may be your GBB just being a GBB