Odd avic?

Megan 03

Arachnopeon
I have a A. Metallica, on occasion she/he will sit on the glass and rub her toes in her mandibles. I am not concerned about her health, just curious if this is a normal thing for avics to do. Also wondering if its purpose is to clean the mandibles or the toes, or perhaps it has another purpose. I would love to hear others experiences with this and other "odd" behavior

RoseT

Arachnosquire
All my avics do this. Only thing I can think of is grooming. They need to have their legs as maintained as possible for their best grip. It does look a bit awkward, I thought mine had broken a leg when I first witnessed this behavior. Perfectly normal from my experience.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
All tarantulas will do this. It's how they groom their legs.
Sometimes they will curl several legs at once underneath and almost look like they're in a death curl, so don't worry if you see it doing that too.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All tarantulas will do this. It's how they groom their legs.
Sometimes they will curl several legs at once underneath and almost look like they're in a death curl, so don't worry if you see it doing that too.
My A. Genic did that and I had a mild heart attack! My panicked yelp snapped her back to attention as if I were the one scaring HER. lol

Megan 03

Arachnopeon
yeah it looks pretty awkward, she/he will be on the glass belly facing the world and then start curling her legs under. It gives a great view on the process, it is really neat to watch.
She is the only T I have that I have seen do this. I am fareily new to keeping t's but I jumped in head first, I got my first, Twink (A. metallica), about 5 months ago and now I have 10 in the house, including 6 slings under .5". They are all amazing to watch, see whats changed, watching them molt, the cool webbing.... I LOVE IT!!