OBT vs ornamental

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so worm and i were at a local pet store (no i wont say which b/c i dont want you md'ers to go find it, yet) and we saw they had several t's for sale, a few (about 2") obt's for $25 each and an ornamental for $50, both including enclosures.

we wanted them SO MUCH but we thought we should only get one, but then we couldnt choose and left empty handed.

the OBT was beautiful and reminded us of our last one (see her bad molt on youtube :( ) and we just miss having a spider that webs up the hole tank.
the ornamental was burrowed so we couldnt see it, and had a nice web going, and we like these but have never had one.

we figure they're both pretty aggressive and fast and great looking, but besides the habitat differences (arboreal, terrestrial) we couldnt think of a lot of differences between the two to sway us either way. i'm leading towards the ornamental, worm towards the OBT.

so you guys need to help me convince my worm that we should get one of these gorgeous t's over the other since we probably don't have room for both. any suggestions on which we should get?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so worm and i were at a local pet store (no i wont say which b/c i dont want you md'ers to go find it, yet) and we saw they had several t's for sale, a few (about 2") obt's for $25 each and an ornamental for $50, both including enclosures.

we wanted them SO MUCH but we thought we should only get one, but then we couldnt choose and left empty handed.

the OBT was beautiful and reminded us of our last one (see her bad molt on youtube :( ) and we just miss having a spider that webs up the hole tank.
the ornamental was burrowed so we couldnt see it, and had a nice web going, and we like these but have never had one.

we figure they're both pretty aggressive and fast and great looking, but besides the habitat differences (arboreal, terrestrial) we couldnt think of a lot of differences between the two to sway us either way. i'm leading towards the ornamental, worm towards the OBT.

so you guys need to help me convince my worm that we should get one of these gorgeous t's over the other since we probably don't have room for both. any suggestions on which we should get?
Well I have that pokie and I would say get that because Pokies are much more "in" to have I would say. I have both but i guess im not liking OBTS right now because i loved this species up until i found out the one i brought and raised ends up being a mature male... i could breed em but i dunno.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer

What species are you referring to when you use the term "ornamental"? That would help hugely in making a decision.

No Ts are agressive. They will certainly defend their enclosure, but they will never chase you!
:eek:

WRXspecR1

Arachnopeon
If you don't have enough room for them, get both, put them in the same enclosure.... one day or another you'll end up with only one....and your problem will be solved!{D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Both of those species(I'm guessing ornamental is for h. mac) are pretty cheap as slings right now. I bet for $25 you could get both species.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I figured ornamental was P. regalis, funny how those common names can get screwed up in your head! I much prefer T's that are more visual and I rarely see my P. murinis while i see my P. regalis every day. I much prefer my arboreals over my "ground" T's. If the ornamental is H. maculata the same applies. My H. mac is still small, but at least i can see it when I chose, not when IT chooses. Di

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What species are you referring to when you use the term "ornamental"? That would help hugely in making a decision.

No Ts are agressive. They will certainly defend their enclosure, but they will never chase you!
:eek:
ok, obviously its not going to chase anybody, like most things they are more afraid of us than we are of them yadda yadda all i'm saying is that our OBT was definitely not shy about showing her guns if you stuck your hand in her cage, as opposed to say my skeleton that is super lazy and might throw a threat pose but otherwise could care less. i think most people will agree that there are "aggressive" species, just like there are rosehairs and pinkies that are more "docile". if people dont agree, oh well its a matter of opinion and until we can determine scientifically the "levels" of aggressiveness, an opinion is all it will be.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
ok, obviously its not going to chase anybody, like most things they are more afraid of us than we are of them yadda yadda all i'm saying is that our OBT was definitely not shy about showing her guns if you stuck your hand in her cage, as opposed to say my skeleton that is super lazy and might throw a threat pose but otherwise could care less. i think most people will agree that there are "aggressive" species, just like there are rosehairs and pinkies that are more "docile". if people dont agree, oh well its a matter of opinion and until we can determine scientifically the "levels" of aggressiveness, an opinion is all it will be.
There are defensive species, there are no agressive species.

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
figured you would be on here...lol yeah i thought about it today as well and i got to say im still a big fan of the "obt" I just think that given our current set up it would be easy to house a p.regailus....or however you spell that. But im shure as many of the rest of you all on this forum that you have many t's all in the same room. But as for us i think the obt would be great and they are cheap. But will put up a great display case like something from arachnophobia