obt unhappy?? or just eccentric?

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my obt has been in residence for three days and the whole time, she's been on the side of the tank. she walks around near the top feeling the lid. she goes around and around as if she was trying to get out. is she not happy with her environment? i'm using dry coco fiber as bedding and she has a large piece of wood to anchor her web to. she has plenty of water [and has used her water dish several times] sometimes she comes down the side and touches the substrate, but then turns around and goes back up! is this normal? or is she unhappy? is there a substrate she would like better?

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Hmm... That's the same substrate I use for mine. Sounds like just OBT behavior to me.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well 3 days isnt really a long time, she could still be getting use to her new environment.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OBTs are semi-arboreal, some are said to be totally arboreal
Recent topics on OBT have answered this question, worth a look.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well her setup is terrastrial...if she continues this behavior, should i go for a semi-arboreal\arboreal setup instead? or do you think she'll just get use to being on the ground?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it is just being an OBT and checking things out. Mine did that for a few days when I first got it. He's webbed like crazy now all around the top of the enclosure, and then this morning I found him buried in the substrate (same as yours). Eccentric.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine has recently lived as an arboreal for over a month...maybe close to 2. Before that it was a terrestrial for a couple months, and before that an obligate burrower. My OBT also makes VERY thick web tubes, and then tears them down after a couple of days. Then it repeats the process...they are priceless!

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your P. murinus is merely getting a feel for it's new home. P. murinus will make a home of anything and don't be surprised if soon it webs itself up and doesn't come out for long periods. I would just enjoy the fact that right now you are able to view this great species because before long it will be hiding most of the time.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arboreal?? I think mine missed the memo.
Mine also, must of been a late meeting. Mine sits in his/her (juvi) webbed up hide just daring for me to open the lid.

I sware if I didnt know better, I think she built some sort of catapault system, lmao.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine also, must of been a late meeting. Mine sits in his/her (juvi) webbed up hide just daring for me to open the lid.

I sware if I didnt know better, I think she built some sort of catapault system, lmao.
hahahaha catapult system :D i wouldn't be surprised...i don't think that mine is particularly aggressive the lady i bought her from said she'd never seen a threat display and had handled it [she described this is 'while i was being stupid'] i just hope that she doesn't web the lid shut :p

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Mines a pet hole, it usually webs up the hole too so its a pet mound of silk and dirt.