OBT tracking dirt into web?

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Hi Everyone. I recently got my OBT and love her. She's everything I'd hoped and more. :D I do have one question though. She's built a nice web, but it is kind of knotted up and dirty. Do they often track dirt into their web? She's a sub-adult, if that matters. Thanks.

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
Some tarantulas like to hide their webbing sometimes with substrate, as a sort of cover to look natural. I think they also block out light doing that too. My P. irminia and H. lividum both do that.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the reply. The web is at the tippy top of her enclosure, though, and nowhere near a hiding place. I think she just liked that spot and decided to web there... Maybe she is trying to make it more natural to hide her hide... ?

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they'll definitely build dirt into their webbing so much so that the webbing and dirt almost become one. When I'm posting these out or rehoming I find picking up a lump of this to transport the OBT is the least stressful and easiest way to do so.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Thanks, everyone. That's good to know. She seems content to venture out to get crickets, then bring some new dirt into the web with her. :p I guess she knows what she's doing. :D

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas make dirt curtains all the time starting from spiderlingdom and on it absolutely normal for them to ball up and weave a bunch of substrate into their webbing its just making its home a little more cozy

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Tarantulas make dirt curtains all the time starting from spiderlingdom and on it absolutely normal for them to ball up and weave a bunch of substrate into their webbing its just making its home a little more cozy
Thanks! That's good to know. :D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Hehe. Yeah. I've noticed little mud tracks from her leaving her water dish and crawling through her dirt... :D I guess they're kind of like a puppies in that sense. {D

web eviction

Arachnolord
Lol my P. Irminia builds big dirt curtains on the ground then drags them to her corner and hangs them up, after about a week or 2 she rips them down and starts again.