OBT sling - what a character!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had this little joker a little over a month. Due to some, uh, transfer issues at time of arrival, it ended up living in a condiment cup for a couple of weeks. When I rehoused it into its intended enclosure, I ended up plopping the entire condiment cup shaped ball of webbed up substrate, complete with spider, into the new abode. Since its relocation, it has dug tunnels into the substrate under the web ball and extended webbing every which way. Normal OBT stuff.

Two openings to its maze conveniently (for me) face the wall of the enclosure. I've been noticing that if OBT is not at entrance to one of the holes when I first enter the room, then it appears shortly thereafter -- Nosy? Hungry? Territorial? Bold? -- where it appears to sit and watch me. Fair enough. I ogle my spiders. I don't mind if they return the favor.

Until today, the tunnel openings were of a size that one would expect of a 1 inch OBT sling - diameter of a pencil. However, little OBT was very busy with "home improvements" while I was at work today.

Perhaps it is getting ready to molt again and has illusions of instant grandeur...

Maybe it saw the size of the roach I fed to its nearly adult G. rosea neighbor this morning and was enlarging the pantry in hopes of receiving similar fare...

Whatever the reason, the newly refurbished openings to OBT's labyrinth of tunnels are each big enough to drive a T sized truck through. I peered in in amazement. No T in sight, but I can see waaay down into the substrate until the tunnels go around their respective bends.

As I'm checking on the other Ts, I get the sensation of being watched... slowly I turn... and there sits little OBT sling on the rise beside one of its Blondi-sized tunnels surveying its domain, which I guess includes me. {D

I thought these guys were supposed to be elusive?

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehehe I'm glad your little OBT has added his personal touches to make the enclosure his home. :D

My OBT girl is not elusive at all. She usually sits on top of her burrow until she feels the hatch of her container being opened, then she'll dash into one of her burrows with lightening speed :)

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like you've got a little character on your hands :p my p cancerides likes to plop it's left overs outside of its burrow for me to "pick up the trashh" xP
how much did you purchase it for? I'm interested in getting one myself

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, mine sets the trash out by the curb for pick up, too...

I got mine as a freebie with an order of other Ts. B. verdezi that I got at the same time is almost as comical as the OBT.:)

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gotta love spider personalities xD whaatt? That's awesome :D! Pretty sick luck you've got haha
Any idea on a good current price for them?

Querx

Arachnopeon
Ive got an OBT. Little bugger dashed right out of the enclosure and up the side of the wall while I was trying to transfer it. Lovely T, likes to sit at the opening of it's hide until I try to get near, then its gone out of view.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine ran under a desk with a 1 inch opening in between the floor and the bottom of the desk. Then it ran up the wall to the top were I had to get on a chair and trap him with a cup before the he got into the ventilation duct an inch behind him and escaped to wherever in my house. Now he has a kritter keeper with a small hole on the top for feeding. Little orange nugget of hell but i live him (probably her)

grayhound

Arachnosquire
Maybe it saw the size of the roach I fed to its nearly adult G. rosea neighbor this morning and was enlarging the pantry in hopes of receiving similar fare... QUOTE]

LOL..... That's great!!

OBT slings have got to be one of the funnest T's in the hobby!! Mine eats like a horse, and is the ONLY T that I have had to chase down and capture during transfer.... When I transferred mine into its newest enclosure, it bolted!! I had forgot to shut the door in my T room this time, and It ended up in the kitchen on the wall behind the fridge....... The worst part is that my dog was right there by it!! Thankfully he wasn't too curious. I can't imagine what an OBT bite on the nose would do to my GSD.

BTW.... my OBT sling was eating superworms at barely 1" - 1.5". It's a little MONSTER!!!

OBT1

Arachnosquire
I plan on getting one soon.:drool::drool: Here there little packages of character.{D

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I transferred mine into its newest enclosure, it bolted!!
Yeah, that was the scenario when I unpacked mine. I thought I was all prepared... :8o ...not. I unpacked the little speed demon at work. First two Ts unpacked nicely and were placed in their new enclosures. Despite my preparations, OBT made a mad dash for freedom and led me a merry chase for the next 20 minutes or so.

I read somewhere that spiders are sprinters, go short distances before they have to stop for a breather. OBT didn't read that book. It was going for endurance... :)

I'm thinking I may need another one. I really like this little guy/gal.