OBT question

unitard311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a lovely male that is not mature. I have seen very conflicting info on water provisions for this species. Do you think they get what they need from their food sources or do you provide water for this arid species? Is it a matter of owner preference at this point?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should always provide water, no matter what species we are talking about. If you can keep a waterdish there, do it. If not, lightly mist the webbings once a week.

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a MM OBT and I give him a water dish, When I got him from the LPS they didn't have one for him and one of the first things he did after getting set up was to take a big drink of water.

I wouldn't spray his web with water because they do like it dry, and the only web mine has created was in his clay pot and he probably freak out if I did that.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are different, but some specimens web EVERYTHING, so it's difficult to keep a waterdish there. If that's the case, light misting is the only choice.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OBT's are one of those species that i've just given up trying to keep a waterdish for. They get buried or webbed over every time! For these and others such as C huahini (webs) H gigas (buries) etc I just try to provide a conveniently placed puddle for them to drink from once a week, give or take.

I think a well fed OBT probably could survive with no liquid water for its entire natural lifespan but i'd rather not run that test. It's a pet so I see no need to recreate the harsher side of their native environment.