OBT Issues...

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a pretty large female OBT that has deceided to lay her sack inside a piece of bamboo...NOT that it's a Huge issue, But in general, SHOULD I pull the sack, or just let it hatch on its own? I've got a few pix of it just for referance, and I'm sure that it is a sack...She started laying about a little over a month or so ago, right before My wife and I left for Hawaii... and she DEFINATLY is in there...she comes out like a pissed off weedeater if anything even comes CLOSE to it...I did move her to the closet so its a bit darker and a bit cooler (seems the 100 degree days are already starting in Colorado..) So I figure that SHOULD help a bit...

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmmm little over a month ago and still no slings? If I remember corectly,my OBT , her gestation only took little over 2 weeks, I thinks it took her 23 days aproximately. I just left her alone, then all of a sudden I saw some slings crawling...about 80!!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
How cool is THAT? I would definitely leave her alone and let her do her thing. My P. murinus sac just hatched, it's been about 83F-90F in our house with humidity ranging from 23%-80%. Remember, this species is from Africa, so I wouldn't worry about high temps. These guys seem to be especially easy to breed, I recommend you just sit back and enjoy the slings!

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Are you sure it's still in there and she hasn't eaten it? I would of thought you would of seen some hints of spiderlings by now... they should of emerged i would of thought...

And her coming out all guns blazing is normal for an OBT lol

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, She is Still in there with the Sack, I checked it about 20 minutes ago to no avail...There was one little one that came out of the sack but I reckon she ate it...The Sack however isn't punctured or anything...however I'm Kinda wondering if I should open it and see what's going on inside of it....Been close to a month now or right about (I think :? ) It's definatly kinda odd....

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, i hope it goes okay. When they come out< what are u gonna do with them? if ur selling, i'd be interested.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pissed like a weedeater?! I know that feeling!

I hope that the sack is doing okay in there. I know it seems to be taking a long time, but if she is still guarding it, then maybe things are allright. Usually momma T know's best, so I'd just leave her be for a little while longer. Plenty of tarantula sacks hatch in the wild in far more interesting conditions, so you should be fine. :D

Good luck!

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And then the Bad news...I checked the sack tonight and It seriously smelled like rotting eggs so I snatched it out of the piece of Bamboo and It looks like momma ate it :( Oh well, Better Luck next time I guess.... :(

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aw, man. that stinks. well, you can always bredder again. let her peek in the microwave, and tellher it's her future if it happens again. lol, jk. :embarrassed: