obt help

kush

Arachnopeon
my p.murinus was trying to eat a cricket that was on her bark hide,but the cricket jumped and she bit the hide and i think she hurt herself because shes not aggresive anymore.she will throw up the threat posture but wont bite at all.she also fell off the top screen on to her hide that day.i put her in icu just to relieve stress.she seemed fine before i put her in.its just when she fell i was using a paint brush to see if she was ok and how she was acting.i do believe it stressed her out given the fact that i messed with her for like 5 to 10 mins to see if there was any injuries. Was puting her in the icu a good idea and do you think she injured her fangs from biting the bark?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I suspect they hit objects like trees, rocks and bark in the wild. All the threat posturing they do is stressful. I'd leave her alone, let her recover. If she is hungry, she'll take food.

While I don't know that they feel pain as we do, if she thinks she's injured, she'll go hide. Put her back in her enclosure as stress-free as possible, make sure she has sufficient substrate and a water dish.

That's what I'd do in the situation.

Marga

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An ICU isn't for relieving stress. Move it back into it's enclosure.
This, this, a thousand times, this.

An ICU is really only needed for one or two reasons: either the T is dehydrated, and needs the direct moisture; or the T is injured, and needs the lack of substrate and added moisture to help it heal.

In no way does it help de-stress your tarantula! In fact, it will likely have the opposite effect. You've uprooted it and moved it out of its territory!

Leave it be, it knows what it's doing. You've bitten your tongue or the inside of your lip before, haven't you? ;)

webbedone

Arachnobaron
ever try to swat a fly with a towel and ended up knocking it down but not killing it? it gets knocked down for a while runs around than recovers and flies off. What knocked your obt out was probably the fall not the bark bite. Take it out of the ICU because those are only for hydration purposes, put it back in its enclosure and leave it alone. A little bit of darkness and quiet goes a long way for a stressed tarantula.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think it's possible for your T to hurt it's self by missing in a strike..and you may want to add enough substrate so that if your T is on the top, it's not a long fall [although you may already have idk] like everyone else said, just leave her alone for a bit and she'll be fine...

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would be more worried about stressing her out by prodding and constantly checking on her, than her striking a hide. OBT's are notorious anyway for wanting to dart out of the enclosure, and being stressed more than usual will only increase its chances. Trust me its not fun having a orange ball of hell running around the house, lol.

Although its been mentioned already on several post, its best to let her calm down, leave her be for a while (up to 5 days). That way she can get acclimated to her enclosure and not be as stressed out (although they are natural stressed anyway :D ).

By the way if you can get a picture of her enclosure, that may help with any more information. Such as if there isnt enough substrate, etc. It just helps others give advice.

Good luck.

kush

Arachnopeon
well thanks for all the advise.i put her back in and shes just been chilling in her hide.i only had her in the icu for about 17 hours.im just gonna let her relax and she seems fine to me.i guess i was just over worried.