OBT enclosure pics

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just sloped some eco earth and propped a half-long on end against the wall. He made his burrow behind it so I can turn it around and see his pretty little orange behind. Other than that, he's really shy and secretive and I rarely see anything but feet.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What is with all these OBT pics with all the webbing??? Mine has no cool webbing... :(

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two. the one webbed up the whole container (will post pics later) and the other hardly any webbing at all. They were both from the same hatchout, but the one is well over twice the size of the other. Mine had about 5 exits and really looked awesome. Now he has started tearing down aswell. Any idea's as to why??

Flying

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two. the one webbed up the whole container (will post pics later) and the other hardly any webbing at all. They were both from the same hatchout, but the one is well over twice the size of the other. Mine had about 5 exits and really looked awesome. Now he has started tearing down aswell. Any idea's as to why??
I've seen one of mine grab prey through the tunnelwebs, maybe that's the cause?

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have not seen that with mine yet. Normally he runs up the tunnel or the cric comes to him and he jumps it.
The web was torn down a couple days after feeding. Just on the one side. Hmmmm...Strange.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't have a photo, but one thing I did that my OBT loves so far is buy an 7" long cork bark tunnel (about 1.5" hole diameter so it might not last his whole lifespan) and bury all but an inch and a half or so of it in the coco fiber substrate. There are other things in the tank he could have taken up residence in, but he went immediately for the dark, secluded cork bark tunnel. What's nice is that one end is flush to the bottom wall of the tank, and the other faces the feeding door (having a feeding door for this species is great since you can close it more quickly than a full lid if need be), so if I angle a flashlight down into the tunnel from either end I can check on my little dude.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This was after less than a week in the enclosure. It got alot thicker and whiter before he decided to renovate. Now I'm starting to work on a new enclosure for him as he will outgrow it with his next molt. These lil buggers do grow quick.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT's enclosure...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/SpcJky/1112072057.jpg

I hope the above link works... if it does you'll be able to see what one of my OBT's has done to her critter keeper. She's impossible to see in this pic because when I picked up the container to move it into a better lit area she crawled into one of the many web tunnels she has made. I'll post better pics if this one actually works! :D

Fenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:drool: I hope to god my OBT will start webbing like that. Dunno what it is but a KK full of webs beats any enclosure other than a full planted viv IMO.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol! Yea I hear ya! I swear when I have people over my house they look past all the other T's and right at that OBT's keeper and say, "What in the hecks in this thing!?" I'll take a bunch of better pictures of it in better lighting and a few of her to if she's not feeling to shy later on this week!

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah that is really cool Aarantula.. Shouldn't it be obvious to guests what would make tons of webbing in a KK? ;P

OBTs are on my Top 3 wanted Ts right now too :8o

crazy4tat2s

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My OBT, afriend gave it to me he was afraid of it. His fright my gain!

tarantulas 066.jpg

Last edited:

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL. My OBT was in a very "smallish" container for a long time. It completely webbed everything up... even to the point where crickets could hide from it.

I just moved it to a newer and bigger enclosure (with NO hassles... but it was tense!) and it immediately took residence in a premade hole and webbed it shut. I suspect a molt is in process.

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I STILL don't know why they call these adorable Ts orange bitey things:? :confused: :wall:

No..I get it...I just think seeing one in threat posture is great...the stuff of an arachnophobes nightmares:D I would never stress a T to get them to display,but every time mine(when I get one) strikes that pose...as my heart rate increases....a warm and fuzzy feeling will take over my senses:)

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Webs webs webs!!!

I just love em!!! Ok ok, yes they are fast as hell and have been known to display aggressive behavior (Hence the OBT slang, Lol!), but they really are amazing tarantulas to watch grow! I currently have 17 of them that I'm raising from a sac before I start to sell them off and each one is sooo unique compared to it's brother's and sister's! Some web ALOT and others just hide out underground all day and night. Some are active and others... slow and almost seem docile (yea right!). Anyway, I just gotta say that they are an amazing species that I think most people don't look into owning one because of a bad reputation. If you really enjoy watching a T grow and create a truly AMAZING environment, then I suggest picking up your own little OBT and watch it slowly transform it's enclosure into a truly amazing habitat!!!

Fenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually my OBT seems like a lazy little bugger he hasnt thrown a single threat display yet *knock on wood* and can be very fast but seems to prefer to amble around or do spins inside his web cave. No way am i gonna handle him but he seems more handle friendly than other OBTs.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually my OBT seems like a lazy little bugger he hasnt thrown a single threat display yet *knock on wood* and can be very fast but seems to prefer to amble around or do spins inside his web cave. No way am i gonna handle him but he seems more handle friendly than other OBTs.
Are the temps kinda low? Temperatures might make a normally aggressive T, kinda docile. I do know some places that "cool" off a T. before they pack it for taking home. H. lividums are among those! LOL.