O. Whalbergi

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did a search on this type of scorp and didnt get a very good comeback so I thought I'd throw it out there. Theres a pet store around here that has a 'tri-colored cape scorpion' and I believe it to be O. whalbergi, however, I know nothing about this scorp. So if anyone could point me in the direction of any care sheets or lend any info on this species as far as keeping them, that would be awesome. thanks

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe you missed this?
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=10036

Hilights of the thread were

Dave can respond to this, but I'll jump in and say no, do not lower the temps. There is a reason scorps tend to give birth in the spring--it ensures that their young will have warm, moist weather. You could probably stand to raise the temp to between 85 and 90, though 90 may be on the high side. Humidity could also probably be raised to the same amount--85-90%

Does that sound right to you, Dave?

Chris
In terms of temperatures just go with what Chris said -- couldn't have said it better myself.

Humidity-wise, I wouldn't necessarily raise it that high. 70 is good. 80 is probably better for the young. 90 is probably too much for this species. That being said, I have no personal experience with the young of this genus, so who knows?

Cheers,
Dave
and

The countries this species is native to are as follows: Angola, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. The countries listed are all components of Sub-Saharan Africa, which has a descently low humidity level. A search through Weatherbug can assist you to find the exact temp and humidity level which can be found above the surface, which will give a better estimate of keeping for them. Temps, if listed as higher (approx 75 Fahrenheit being the average medium), will be lower on the surface (5-10 degrees average) and will be higher if temp ratings are cooler than the medium (5 degrees average). Dave is correct on the species name spelling, according to toxin laboratories throughout Africa.

adios,
edw.
As you said, the threads are limited, but the above is definently an intelligent reccomendation. XOskeletonRED also was involved with most of the O Whalbergii posts, so maybe fumbling with advanced search may hepl more. But I'd still do what he said in the post before anything else.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to keep them. I kept them on a deep mixture of sand and peat left bone dry. They like to burrow

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heh, I guess I did miss that one. thanks EAD

what kind of temps and humidity did u have brian?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heh, I guess I did miss that one. thanks EAD

what kind of temps and humidity did u have brian?
No doubt, easy to miss, google actually found it in the AB's archives, but the thread in original format is in search also.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have these at the moment, a male and female housed seperatly.
The male is usually night active if it's a warm evening while the female has been down her sealed up burrow since last November. She made a brief appearence about a month ago but i made the mistake of giving her some water in a bottle top and spilling some into the substrate. I won't do that anymore!
She shot back in her burrow, sealed it again and i haven't seen her since.

I keep both mine at 25-28 during the day with a fall to 22 by the next morning.
Humidity is usually very low not getting over 40%.
My substrate is peat and sand 50/50 with a couple of stones on top.

I've had my pair for about a year and a half and for me they seem to act the way they should.

Actually i'm planning on putting them together this year so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes out of that, allthough the fact that it's usually adults you hear for offer suggests that maybe they are not that easy.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i found that while looking for a sheet after we ID'd my scorp in another thread