O. sp. Vietnam as a display tarantula?

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
That’s definitely a variable I hadn’t considered. Can you suggest the best and safest way to provide heat for a tarantula besides increasing the house thermostat?
I’m skeptical about extra heat stopping it from being. A pet hole but who knows ? Worth a try . I am stuck with room temperature I don’t pay the heating bill.💸 Tropics are 70-90 or hotter

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I’m skeptical about extra heat stopping it from being. A pet hole but who knows ? Worth a try . I am stuck with room temperature I don’t pay the heating bill.💸 Tropics are 70-90 or hotter
With all due respect, if you're not using supplemental heating for your animals, don't give advice for what temps you think the tropics are and what the animals need. We've already established that 70°F isn't a tropical temperature and a constant 90°F plus will kill a tarantula.

@JettysJumpers, a minimum to aim for with Ornithoctoninae spp IME is a 74°F ambient temperature, but 78°F to 80°F is optimal. You're not attempting to replicate the atmospheric conditions of the tropics as the animal is actually never exposed to those 90°F+ daytime highs. They're in their burrows, insulated against that heat and waiting for dusk. My facility is kept within that 74°F to 80°F range year round and I see my Ornithoctoninae sp Vietnam Silvers more nights than I don't. They will also occasionally be visible during the day, hunting at the entrance to their burrows.

Also keep in mind these are moisture dependent species and raising the temperature will dry out the enclosure a bit faster, requiring more frequent checks and/or watering.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20241016_214526.jpg
Ornithoctoninae sp Vietnam Silver, female one as of a few minutes ago.

20241016_214543.jpg
Ornithoctoninae sp Vietnam Silver, female two as of a few minutes ago.

20241016_214621.jpg
Bonus Ornithoctoninae sp Ho Chi Minh female, as of a few minutes ago.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I guess I should clarify what I meant when I said this species is a permanent pet hole - being fossorial in nature, they will always have a tendency to burrow if kept properly. If they have deep, moist substrate, they will always dig a burrow to live in - it's not like they will eventually decide to become a B. smithi and sit out in the open all the time. But, as @l4nsky points out, keeping them correctly will allow you to enjoy seeing them out frequently. Not often out strolling around, but at least at the mouth of their burrow waiting for a meal to wander by. As he also mentioned, don't underestimate the importance of humidity - heating your room and allowing enclosures to dry out will have the opposite effect as your T retreats deeper into the burrow seeking humidity.

My room is kept at a minimum of 75° with 40-50% humidity using a small, efficient space heater and humidifier (neither of which are expensive or cost much to run) and I see my fossorial species out all the time. Some of them out this evening:

0.1 Ornithoctoninae sp. Hana
1000029361.jpg

O.1 Ornithoctoninae sp. Veronica dwarf
1000029362.jpg

0.0.1 Citharognathus tongmianensis
1000029364.jpg

0.1 Cyriopagopus lividus
1000029365.jpg

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
I have to agree on the heat. Thats why many of us have tarantulas that are always hiding. They are fine in their holes. But they are not experiencing their prime.

we keep them in a way that is ideal for us because we can’t all afford to have individual thermostats, or a super heated room.

but if we did, like many breeders, our reality could be different.

same thing with moisture. In nature, in super heat, when it rains, many tarantulas “come out” and swarm. For many of them, its breeding time.

There is much research to be done in terms of local habitats.

mainstream husbandry is one thing, that works. But its not prime conditions. Its general averaged and yes the tarantulas live long.

i do believe what @l4nsky says about heat. I don’t venture out giving advice about it because i think one needs to learn about this and get weather and species need on their own. Figure it out for themselves and put it to the test. Its a lot of work and you can’t just see it in a video and just get it. Its a journey a person needs to go on their own once they get a hint. They can go learn more, watch actual scientific videos, not entertainement ones. We can learn for ourselves. As much advice we can get, will not replace the experience we gain in personnal research.

look at daves little beasties. He sees his tarantulas, he mastered something there. Some of which is to do with feeding.

its an art. And science. Its like growing plants. Once you get behind the real data, you see things differently and can calibrate your approach.

that won’t work for the hundreds of new keepers just starting out getting a b hamorii. They actualy need to dig deeper.

which brings me back to op original question. Some tarantulas might be more visible in general. A good friend of mine told me certain phormicoptus are always out. but perhaps its also to something to do in the husbandry.

I have a mature g pulchripes female. The second lighting changed and it got cold, she went in den. And she has not come out. Could be anything. But i suspect more then just “possible” premolt. Shes way over 4 inches and fully mature. Shes reading the elements. For the record, shes not coming out at night either. I have a camera for that.

i feel i got carried away here 😱 oh well. Its all in the name of science.

Last edited:

JettysJumpers

Arachnopeon
I have to agree on the heat. Thats why many of us have tarantulas that are always hiding. They are fine in their holes. But they are not experiencing their prime.

we keep them in a way that is ideal for us because we can’t all afford to have individual thermostats, or a super heated room.

but if we did, like many breeders, our reality could be different.

same thing with moisture. In nature, in super heat, when it rains, many tarantulas “come out” and swarm. For many of them, its breeding time.

There is much research to be done in terms of local habitats.

mainstream husbandry is one thing, that works. But its not prime conditions. Its general averaged and yes the tarantulas live long.

i do believe what @l4nsky says about heat. I don’t venture out giving advice about it because i think one needs to learn about this and get weather and species need on their own. Figure it out for themselves and put it to the test. Its a lot of work and you can’t just see it in a video and just get it. Its a journey a person needs to go on their own once they get a hint. They can go learn more, watch actual scientific videos, not entertainement ones. We can learn for ourselves. As much advice we can get, will not replace the experience we gain in personnal research.

look at daves little beasties. He sees his tarantulas, he mastered something there. Some of which is to do with feeding.

its an art. And science. Its like growing plants. Once you get behind the real data, you see things differently and can calibrate your approach.

that won’t work for the hundreds of new keepers just starting out getting a b hamorii. They actualy need to dig deeper.

which brings me back to op original question. Some tarantulas might be more visible in general. A good friend of mine told me certain phormicoptus are always out. but perhaps its also to something to do in the husbandry.

I have a mature g pulchripes female. The second lighting changed and it got cold, she went in den. And she has not come out. Could be anything. But i suspect more then just “possible” premolt. Shes way over 4 inches and fully mature. Shes reading the elements. For the record, shes not coming out at night either. I have a camera for that.

i feel i got carried away here 😱 oh well. Its all in the name of science.
I’m all for science! It sometimes takes tinkering, trial and error for sure. My reef tank is the same way, once everything is dialed in all the animals are their most active and growing well.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
I’m all for science! It sometimes takes tinkering, trial and error for sure. My reef tank is the same way, once everything is dialed in all the animals are their most active and growing well.
You will ace it and find the secret sauce recipe. Turn on the heat 🥵.

if you handle reef tanks, then you already master elements. You just need to apply it to a none water setting. Lets be honnest, reef is beyond delicate. More then a t seladonia.

take the time to filter the knowledge you need. I believe you will get results and i cant wait to hear/see about them! Share with us too.

at this point, you cant make much error: you turn up heat, adjust substrate moisture. Worse case scenario, nothing changes. Seems like a win win.

just make sure you get that thermostat to go with your heating pad.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Keep Vibrations and Light down to a minimal approach in a Stealthy Manner as if you were an Eight Legged One in the Dark .