Nutshells Used for GBB Substrate?

Raye Humphries

Arachnopeon
So I eat nuts and I've been collecting the shells from them (almond shells and pecan shells). Anyone know if I could possibly use them for my GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) as a substrate?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You could use anything. Though most things wouldn't really suit. Nothing wrong with a bit of Eco-Earth for GBBs.

If your GBB wishes to burrow for whatever reason, it wont be able to do so with nutshells.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately no. Also shells tend to be sharp which is hazardous if your T should fall.. Also, they don't absorbe water like soil or peat moss or cocoa fiber, and would probably just collect in shells, causing stagnant water which is not ideal.. Also the shells are probably treated since they are meant for human consumption and would possibly be unsafe for a T. AAAAnd as @KezyGLA pointed out, the T cannot burrow in the shells.. They are not compact and would colapse at the very moment of digging.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
So I eat nuts and I've been collecting the shells from them (almond shells and pecan shells). Anyone know if I could possibly use them for my GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) as a substrate?
Just out of curiosity, have you been collecting them specifically for this purpose, or just for the heck of it?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Why on earth would you want to use nutshells as a sub? Do you just have this enormous collection of shells that you're trying to find a use for? If it's a price issue you can get a big bag of topsoil for under $2 at Home Depot.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Walnuts, pecans, almonds, brazil nuts, all delicious. I too consume alot of shelled nuts. I would advise against using them for substrate

Paiige

Arachnobaron
If you're looking for something fun to do with your shell collection, perhaps grind them into a powder and mix with some eco earth for a nice nutty smell?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
If you're looking for something fun to do with your shell collection, perhaps grind them into a powder and mix with some eco earth for a nice nutty smell?
Or do that but instead of use it for tarantula enclosures, have a decorative vase you put it in and whenever someone comes over you fill it up, show it to them saying "this is my uncle Bob who passed away" and then "accidentally" spill it on them.

Hilarity ensues.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Or do that but instead of use it for tarantula enclosures, have a decorative vase you put it in and whenever someone comes over you fill it up, show it to them saying "this is my uncle Bob who passed away" and then "accidentally" spill it on them.

Hilarity ensues.
You would have to grind it up pretty fine :astonished:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Hilarity ensues.
Or you could say it's the remnants of the tarantulas you killed by using nut shells as substrate and spill that on them...

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Or you could say it's the remnants of the tarantulas you killed by using nut shells as substrate and spill that on them...
Ground up nuts used as fake dead tarantulas that died because of using nuts as a substrate. Nutception.

Raye Humphries

Arachnopeon

Hilarity ensues.
Your too funny. Lol