Nova shed again!

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nova shed last night! ( a. Geniculata) it has only been a month since her last shed! shes growing like mad.......before i know it she will be the size of a dinner plate >_<

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brazilian Black growth rate

I have a Brazilian Black, Grammostola pulchra, that just shed yesterday for the second time in less than 2.5 months. She grew from 1.875" to 3.5", during that time, an 87% increase in size!

There was a two week period where I fed her every day. When her abdomen looked like a balloon ready to pop, I backed off a bit.

She is a beautiful black velvet, and has a full stocky body. No longer a fragile looking toothpick with legs. Time for a name: Panthera. She gets this name for her special 180 degree pounce that she does when crickets are behind her..quick as a cat...actually quicker.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Hey Grael,

Do you have any pics? My geniculata's do grow very fast! About how big is she now? You must be a happy camper! I have had my 1/4" baby A.geniculata since 2/14/03 and it still in 2 months has not shed at all! Man, any one know what i am doing wrong? Can i give it a bloodworm? Thanks,

James

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
Hey Grael,

Do you have any pics? My geniculata's do grow very fast! About how big is she now? You must be a happy camper! I have had my 1/4" baby A.geniculata since 2/14/03 and it still in 2 months has not shed at all! Man, any one know what i am doing wrong? Can i give it a bloodworm? Thanks,

James
Don't quote me on this but it could just be a female. They do molt slower than males.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I'm so jealous! That is the #1 T on my wish list!! Please, please post pictures!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
Don't quote me on this but it could just be a female. They do molt slower than males.
Well, I am quoting you on this. With most species I would be suspicious of such quick growth. Males will grow/mature quite quickly, especialy if fed freely. Females just get fat. I'm going to have to agree with Godzilla and state that these fast growth rates posted by Grael and ProfessorT could be indicative of the Ts being male.

Cheers,
Dave

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nova is a boy!?:eek:

i still love him/her sorry not pics yet ill give her a week to harden up measure her up and take pics ppl!

i also got her skin but the abdomen is kinda munched up so i dont think ill be able to sex form it......

shes so big!

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Well, I am quoting you on this. With most species I would be suspicious of such quick growth. Males will grow/mature quite quickly, especialy if fed freely. Females just get fat. I'm going to have to agree with Godzilla and state that these fast growth rates posted by Grael and ProfessorT could be indicative of the Ts being male.

Cheers,
Dave
Yes, I'm sure the fast growth rate could be indicative of my Grammostola pulchra being male, except for the fact that she's a female.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Professor T
Yes, I'm sure the fast growth rate could be indicative of my Grammostola pulchra being male, except for the fact that she's a female.
Yep, being female is usualy a pretty good indication you aren't male. ;) I take it she isn't yet mature at 3.5", though?

Cheers,
Dave

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh and guys is there any noticable differances between the male and female with A. Geniculatas?i seen some mating pics and they look idenical bar the male was slighty smaller lol

i notice her legs have gotten a LOT thicker and long i mean a lot, she/he is getting gigantic, its unreal how fast she/he growing.....

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, I believe males of this species do get tibial spurs when they mature. That's a sure-fire method of sexing. Check out this picture at giantspiders.com. I think you can just see the spurs, though I may be imagining things. You can definitely see the "boxing gloves."

Cheers,
Dave

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
oh and guys is there any noticable differances between the male and female with A. Geniculatas?i seen some mating pics and they look idenical bar the male was slighty smaller lol

i notice her legs have gotten a LOT thicker and long i mean a lot, she/he is getting gigantic, its unreal how fast she/he growing.....
Grael,

Check out the link below for info on sexing tarantula's from the ATS website:

http://atshq.org/articles/sexing.pdf

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Oops. I accidentaly deleted your post to me. I saw the link and thought it was a duplicate of the one to Grael. Anyhow, I am familiar with sexing by sheds, though I usualy have Tamara do it because she has the fine motor skills not to destroy the shed.

Cheers,
Dave