Not sure what my Chilean is doing

Rcolemire

Arachnopeon
I'm new to tarantulas and so far have been getting most things figured out but today one of my tarantulas decided to do something I cannot find any info on online.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture of the mess, my Chilean rose hair started making a large web the other day which I took as preparing to molt from everything I've read. Today I come home and the web is full of a goo and I'm not sure what it is.

Attachments

Last edited:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Those are eggs! Any idea if your T has been mated at any point? If you got it from a pet shop, it could have been wild caught which would mean that the eggs could very well be fertile if she managed to find a mate before being caught.

Rcolemire

Arachnopeon
Those are eggs! Any idea if your T has been mated at any point? If you got it from a pet shop, it could have been wild caught which would mean that the eggs could very well be fertile if she managed to find a mate before being caught.
I got her from a local shop, but she is so tiny, I figured her quite young... but ok, anyone have advice on what to do with a tarantulas eggs?

Rcolemire

Arachnopeon
I think @cold blood or @louise f might be able to point you in the right direction.
Thank you. I just called my local shop since i'm friends with the owner. He's going to reach out to some people he knows about getting the eggs. While I would find it fascinating to watch the whole process, my wife might move out over baby tarantulas.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Has she molted in your care? If yes, it is probably a dudd sack, meaning the eggs are infertile. If that is the case, do nothing, she will eat them. If she hasn't molted in your care, also do nothing. She should pack them up in a sac and take care of it.
So do nothing for now, the experts are tagged to give further advice :)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Thank you. I just called my local shop since i'm friends with the owner. He's going to reach out to some people he knows about getting the eggs. While I would find it fascinating to watch the whole process, my wife might move out over baby tarantulas.
I haven't dealt with a sac myself, but I can tell you that you've got a bit of time before they hatch. Based on your photo, she still needs to spin the eggs in to a sac and they will need to incubate after that as well. And of course that's assuming that the eggs are viable--it could also be a false sac. Hopefully the other users here will be able to shed some more light on this for you!

Rcolemire

Arachnopeon
Has she molted in your care? If yes, it is probably a dudd sack, meaning the eggs are infertile. If that is the case, do nothing, she will eat them. If she hasn't molted in your care, also do nothing. She should pack them up in a sac and take care of it.
So do nothing for now, the experts are tagged to give further advice :)
She has not molted since I got her. We have had her for about 5 weeks I believe. She eats well and is pretty active, she doesn't mind being handled. All signs I thought that she was captive bred and raised since she is so gentle.

Rcolemire

Arachnopeon
I haven't dealt with a sac myself, but I can tell you that you've got a bit of time before they hatch. Based on your photo, she still needs to spin the eggs in to a sac and they will need to incubate after that as well. And of course that's assuming that the eggs are viable--it could also be a false sac. Hopefully the other users here will be able to shed some more light on this for you!
Thanks, I don't know if they're good ones or not. She is cracking me up right now as she is dancing on the eggs anytime I walk by her environment. I'll keep an eye on things and see if she sacs them up or what she does with them.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I think @cold blood or @louise f might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sure thing friend no problem.:) To you @Rcolemire That is indeed an eggsac in the making, the best you can do is just back of and leave her alone. Because if you stress her to much it can cause that she`ll eat the sac before she is finished. It takes quite some time for them to make an eggsac.
Usually when i go to bed at night with a spider without a sac, has made one during the night while i sleep. :) Ok when she has made the sac, you should let her keep it for 20-25 days, then take the sac an incubate the eggs.. Here`s one of my incubator vids, hope things work out for you. And just ask if you are in doubt of anything :)

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I had a sub-adult rosie drop a dud sack about a month ago . She toted it around fro a day or two then tore it up and ate the eggs . They just do that sometimes .

cold blood

Staff member
If there are eggs, I'd be shocked if they were fertile. Op said its CB and small, although the actual size of the t remains a mystery as far as I can tell.

She's definitely making a sac though. Honestly when I look though, I'm not seeing any actual eggs.

Rcolemire

Arachnopeon
If there are eggs, I'd be shocked if they were fertile. Op said its CB and small, although the actual size of the t remains a mystery as far as I can tell.

She's definitely making a sac though. Honestly when I look though, I'm not seeing any actual eggs.
I'll get a picture in a little bit, but I can see defined eggs in the gel.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you don't want to raise the slings, assuming the sac is viable, you have about a month to find someone to take them. Do you know for sure if she is captive bred or wild caught?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got her from a local shop, but she is so tiny, I figured her quite young
At that size she could be a decade old, G.rosea grow super slow.

Has she wrapped the egg sac up yet or are they still exposed like in the photo?

cold blood

Staff member
If you don't want to raise the slings, assuming the sac is viable, you have about a month to find someone to take them. Do you know for sure if she is captive bred or wild caught?
Even longer actually...at 30 days they should be just about 1i, at which point it will be another 3-5 weeks will they molt into 2i, and another 5-7 days before they will be ready to eat...then you can move them. That's a long time to get your ducks in a row.:)

In post #8 the op says its captive bred.