Not something I would guess at in a parking lot!

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Found this gigantor waterbug flapping around on the tar here at work in Westbrook, Maine. I figured it was a cicada at first from the sheer size of the thing but then I saw the front grapplers and I knew it was definitely not a cicada. First one I ever found here and from the description I found I'm lucky it didnt get fussy with me. I stuffed it in my windbreaker and zipped it up so it wouldnt get away and it seemed to settle down as I was driving home. It didnt seem to care for tap water (only thing I had on hand) as opposed to a stream so I let it go outside on a tree.

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think the interest in those has grown with some AB members in the last years or so. I saw my first dead one under a street light when I was around 5 years old. I couldn't believe it at the time and couldn't wait til I found my first one. Yeah, tap water is no good. Seems like it's getting worse and worse. I don't even like it. Nice to have running water of course. I use rainwater for all my critters. Cool find and thanks for the pics.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those are so cool. We don't have the giant ones here, but we do have the giant water beetles. I found one in front of a store last summer and brought it home. I had it for a few days but it kept escaping it's tank. The only thing I had at the time was an old fish tank with some netting on the top. It chewed through the netting and was flying around my house so I figured the little guy was better off outdoors. I have a few smaller water bugs right now, they're really fun. I wish I could find a few beetles now that I have a better set up for them.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
those giant waterbugs are great:clap: i used to keep them aswell,i really love the giant diving beetles(dytiscus sp.)they can be kept together, and man when you put food in there,they go crazy like little piranhas w/legs.{D