Not for beginners?

Kazahmish

Arachnopeon
My first and second T's were B-Smithi's.. the first was about 2-3 years old.. female and the second was still really young.. no color, in fact it took about 3 molts to start to show any color... I got the first from a pet shop where I knew the guy well and he set me up really nice for about 30 bucks, the second one was found at a pet shop that was going out of business and wanted to unload everything, so I got it for about 3 bucks with a Critter Keeper.. I did a lot of reading on T's and felt that I had a good idea, and the pet shop owner friend helped out. however I found out recently that just about all he told me was wrong in most every way, such things were like, misting the tank daily acting like a rain storm at times. (heavy). the use of heating pads under the tank, vermiculite only as a substrate, feeding them every day.. I could go on.. my third T was a Cameroon Baboon, but it was ill when I got it and didn't live long, but the pet shop let me get a Sunburst Baboon at a discount.. and WOW.. he was aggressive.. I had been collecting T's about 3 years by then and felt I could handle it.. never got bit, but came very close a couple times..

now 8 years later I am diving back into collecting, in Sept when the temps get cooler I will be getting another B-Smithi (LOVE THEM) and perhaps a LP sling... and of course you know I won't be stopping there.. lol I would have LOVED to get a GBB.. but can't find one for sale.. so perhaps down the road. eventually I want a T-Blondi.. always have.. I know it is bad to think this, but when I get the trailer all my own I will convert the front bedroom into a T room with a controllable temp/humidity.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
i have 5 t's now my first was a g. pulchripes 5.5" female she wasn't like everyone said calm and slow moving easy to deal with she is and can be nasty try to bite. and my second was a avic avic this one was true to peoples sayings fast, poops when you take it out and jumpy. my third was g. pulchripes sling so far this one is calm and doesn't move fast or kick hairs. my fourth is a h.lividum we all know that these guys can and will get nasty. and my fifth was a g. rosea. every person can handle different things it all depends on what the person has set in their mind to get and they will. even if people have the information in front of them they can and do make the wrong choices of critters to keep.

timeflies

Arachnopeon
IMHO a g rosea is definitely the best starter pet they are usually docile and have a very mild venom, that aside if you want to you can have any kind of T as your first. I have an obt and and am getting a regalis very soon but i am taking some serious precautions with the obt like some weight on the cover to prevent escapes and such. Just my two cents.

Dana C

Arachnopeon
Lasiodora difficilis

I currently have a Smithi, a Rosea, G Pulchripes, a A. New River and a curly hair sling, (very seldom seen, always in it's burrow.)
I want to move on and have found a 4.5" Lasiodora difficilis female for sale. I have read all I can find about these guys, which isn't much.
habitat and care are pretty straight forward but what about temprement? I saw a picture on You Tube of a guy's difficilis on his arm.
What can you tell me about them. I would like to keep one of the really big T's and your recommendations would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Dana

---------- Post added 10-21-2011 at 09:32 AM ----------

Oh and how big an enclosure would be required?

Organophosphate

Arachnopeon
I have a Theraphosa that is nice, never flicks hairs and never tries to bite. I have a rosey from hell that would kill me if she could. All my lasiodoras have their own unique personalities....some are easy and some crazy.

This is a horribly subjective question!

Read and learn, pick one you think is interesting, read some more, set up the enclosure, read more, buy one and make sure all the basics are ok, food, temp, humidity....don't try to handle it until you know what is personalty is like and that's if you even ever hold it...keep reading and learning.

Dana C

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been at this for long but I do my research. I found a L. parahybanas
today, a 6.5" female for $70. I bought her and a adult female rosea for an additonal $10. I have read alot of information about the L. Parahybanas but could not find much about Difficilous. I know they are more agressive in terms of Urt kicking but are reluctant to bite. I also saw some pics of Parahybanas being held. As you say it seems the individual tempraments vary from T to T and can change after a molt...the evil twin takes charge. The alure of a giant is like a Siren song in the Iliad.
I just have to have one.
Dana

---------- Post added 10-21-2011 at 11:11 PM ----------

I have an A. New River, a 4" female. After two weeks in her new home, (my house), settled down and is very docile. As to buying more T's and moving up so to speak. I started a few months ago and was hooked. I am semi retired so I have a lot of time to do research. I now have a Chaco Golden Knees, (G. Pulchripes), a Rosea, a B. Smith and a B. Albopilosum. I will take delivery on a L. parahybana and another Rosea, (package deal) and a G. Inheringi along with a Avicularia Metallica 5" female. I chose these based upon alot of reading. The L. Para is not reccomended for beginners BUT if a person has mastered a couple of other T's AND reads / learns, keeping one is doable.
What I observe on this and other boards are people buying T's, not learning in depth about what they bought or buying an OW species that wants to take your life every chance it gets. It is akin to someone wanting to buy a really large, Goliath T, and a Blondi sounds really cool but they have no idea what they are like. They assume that they are like the G. Rosea's shown being handled at county fair.
When I ordered my 6.5 " L Para female today, I knew that she would be huge. I knew her urt hairs are possibly the most irritating of the NW Ts and that she could eventually have fangs that approach 1". Some can be gingerly handled and most can't at all. Never the less I layed down the Pay Pal and can't wait to have her. I want to log her appetite, her molts, her growth, her temprement, etc.

I guess what I am driving at is that to say what is or isn't a good choice is entirely up to the intelligence and research one does when they really get into this hobby and get to know these wonderful creatures.
Dana

Ryancw93

Arachnopeon
I wanted an L.P. as my first T, but I also kept hearing how defensive they are. Numerous people said that they would flick their nasty hairs and throw a threat pose every time something moved. I turned away from this and got an A. Versi, and a GBB. Couldn't be happier! They both are very colorful, always webbing, and almost always out in the open. My Versi spends most of its time in its web, but only keeps its hind legs hidden so I can always see it. A Versicolor needs to be kept moist and humid which can be irritating at times, but my GBB can go days without attention and build a webbed house. Overall, NW terrestrial T's are probably a better choice for a beginner, but some of them can be painfully boring and you will end up getting a new T within a month. Do not get a pet rock as your first T.