Not eating

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My recently purchased Chilobrahys andersoni isn't interested it the juicy crickets I've offered her. Last time I tried to give it one, the cricket panicked and crashed into the spider, but it hardly reacted to that at all, just lifting its abdomen half an inch and sat down when the cricket ran off.
It's has been rehoused, but have had a week to settle in.
It sits in the same corner most of the time, moving a few inches back and forth during the day.
I've read somewhere that when they are sitting with the body slammed to the ground, that's a bad sign, and that's exactly what it's doing. But is it true that it's a bad sign?
I THINK her abdomen looks a bit schrinked, but I'm not sure, more experienced people who's seen it thinks it looks good

PS: It was sold as an Haplopelma sp. wich it's definitly not. Most likely is C.andersoni.

Attached picture is one I took with my phone at the pet-shop, so the quality isn't to good (like my english:D )

Attachments

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
So I take it she's not on that bark anymore? If it has plenty of substrate, I'd moisten it, and start a burrow with my hand. Perhaps setting a piece of cork bark, (or whatever you plan on using) over the mouth partway, so she feels comfortable in it. Hopefully she'll accept it.
She doesn't look starved, just make sure she has water.

-Sean

Last edited:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She looks fine to me. Just make sure she has penty of water if she isn't eating.

-Matty

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Guess it's just me then...
Maybe I'm to used to the B.vagans big round abdomen.

She (I'll just call it she, it's easier) is no longer on bark, her waterdish is full and she has a shelter, so I guess I'll just offer her food again on the next round.
Everyone thinks she looks fine, so I guess she is then:p

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, old worlds tend to have smaller abdomens than new worlds. she looks fine to me too.

i think a lot of us call our s'lings "she", out of wishful thinking of course ;).

Rob

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A little update:
It seems like she was dehydrated. She'd had it quit dry at the shop for I don't know how long.
On advice from a fellow tarantulakeeper I gave her a shrimp, wich she immediately sunk her theeth into. When she left it I put her in the waterdish.
And within a day or so she became better, quicker and more responsive.
Now I just have to get her to eat.

So, to the next problem, my P.regalis decided to show herself today, theeth and all, and then I see that she has something white and dry around her mouth. She's also slow and doesn't react like I want her to.
She's had it moist all the time and knows where the waterdish is if she was to feel thirsty.
Someone said it could be mite. Any ideas?

The P.regalis, C.andersoni and G.rosea all have the same substrate, but the rosea doesn't have problems of any kind, so I doubt that there's something there causing this.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A little update:
It seems like she was dehydrated. She'd had it quit dry at the shop for I don't know how long.
On advice from a fellow tarantulakeeper I gave her a shrimp, wich she immediately sunk her theeth into. When she left it I put her in the waterdish.
And within a day or so she became better, quicker and more responsive.
Now I just have to get her to eat.

Just curious, why would they like to eat shrimp? I dont think I have ever heard that before....

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Her abdomen does look slightly shrunken in the pic you posted, so it's good that she seems to respond to hydration. I would be wary about feeding shrimp though in the future. See the past posts about feeding fish. I would imagine that a lot of the same concerns would apply. Whatever you did seems to have helped though so that's good.

What you are describing with your regalis though doesn't sound that good. Do you happen to be able to post a pic of this discharge? It's possible that it could be an infection. At any rate, I would quarantine that one and change your prey source temporarily just in case it's an infection resulting from something it was fed.

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I too would like to see a pic of your regalis... I hope all is well!