Not digging, not eating

Roxs

Arachnopeon
Hey, I just got myself an Imperator about one year old. He has a 60*30 cm tank all to himself with a substrate of mold, some bark an vermaculite in the bottom. His ground is 10-15 cm deep at the highest. I keep the tank at 74-77 F. and the humidity at 80-90%. I've put in one log and one stone for cover but he chooses to stay in the open. Also in one end (opposite from burrow side) I have a heater under the aquarium (made holes in the top for air), are there to little air inside when I get damp on the glass?
The Imperator doesn't eat either, I've fed him small crickets but taken them out again (the guy at the store told me to if its not eaten in a day). Have tried leaving them over night but still.. he wont hunt.
I would love if he could trive in my tank but guess I could use some help. Any tips? All much appreciated =)

-Roxs

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Raise your temps to 80-90F. Your scorpion will do much better at those temps. If it isa really plump it probably wont eat very often. Keep the substrate moist.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorpions are cold blooded, therefore they cann't digest they're food on they're own... also, being a realitivly small and inactive animal, scorpions only require a few crickets once every week or two. It's probaly out in the open because it feels comfortable. Now if you kept the scorpion dry, it will most likely burrow to try to find a suitable enviroment for itself but if it's not necessary chances are it's not going to waste time making a burrow right away.

I don't understand "some mold, bark and vermiculite"... mold?

Get peat, vermiculite is crap.

It also might help to spend an hour or two reading old posts as there is about 4million emperor posts on here and everything imaginable has been asked about them between 50-500 times, they're definently a simple keep.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my emps never burrowed much. Also heat pads are not recommended, get a heat lamp with a red bulb in it. They like to fast so dont worry about it, and yea get the temps in the 80's and it will probably be more active. You will have best luck seeing it out in the middle of the night as opposed to the day in which you will rarely see it out. I dont understand the mold substrait you were talking about. I suggest a peat/coco fiber mix(i use like 25% peat 75% cocofiber mix).

Roxs

Arachnopeon
thanks

Thanks alot guys, he ate his ckricket last night! I was very excited but gave him room and let him eat in privacy. The heat is up and he just went in his burrow.
By mold I meant dirt/earth.. (bad english, thats all) :p
there is one thing though, he kept on climbing in the corners for about an hour yesterday and the day before.. like trying to get out, but he is calm now.. I guess the environment wasn't all that to him
Sorry for being so blind not to look through the older treads..

I hope to be posting some more intresting threads next time..
-Roxs

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...there is one thing though, he kept on climbing in the corners for about an hour yesterday and the day before.. like trying to get out, but he is calm now.. I guess the environment wasn't all that to him...
-Roxs
Some call that 'glass dancing' mine do it I don't know why they do they just do. Also as far as getting out, if there is any way even the slightest possibility to find a hole to escape through... they will do it, they are strong and can pull themselves up with their claws very well. I've had 2 escape on me so far in nearly two years.

Thaedion

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Trying to climb the walls is normal activity. It's trying to see if there is a way around or over the "obstacle" blocking it's path.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Trying to climb the walls is normal activity. It's trying to see if there is a way around or over the "obstacle" blocking it's path.
yea this is very common, i always hear mine doing it at night..its quite lould on a glass tank

Roxs

Arachnopeon
wow

Thats really nice to hear..
Guess I better find som way to cover to holes in the top cornes ..
Thanks alot!

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats really nice to hear..
Guess I better find som way to cover to holes in the top cornes ..
Thanks alot!
holes on the top corners? im not sure i understand, perhaps post a picture of your enclosure. they will not be able to climb bare glass, but they do sorta stand on their "tail" to get higher

Roxs

Arachnopeon
hmm.. sorry but cant figure out that post picture link-thing (URL).. but from bottom to top corner holes theres 28 cm of pure glass. That would be to high up form him I think..? And I've seen the tail standing.. Impressive how strong he is!

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm.. sorry but cant figure out that post picture link-thing (URL).. but from bottom to top corner holes theres 28 cm of pure glass. That would be to high up form him I think..? And I've seen the tail standing.. Impressive how strong he is!
I have a big scorp who use to get to the top of the enclosure all the time. Looked impossible purely by height but he did it all the time, I'd be careful with an open enclosure if I were you, althought it shouldn't have an open top anyways.