Not a Theraphosa sp...

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have 3 kids and TOTALLY understand your' frustration. It's next to impossible to tell a 5 year old not to breath on a T. :) But at the same time, it's nice to get them acclimated at a young age properly. That way they can grow without fear of spiders and may even join the hobby.

Kids poking and prodding with sticks? Just wrong.
Our 9 year old son loves tarantulas and has helped me breed, maintain, etc...as well as tong fed our 9" LP. Our 2 year old son constantly asks to go see the "piders". LOL He handed me a dubia last night to feed our beardie...didn't phase him in the least. Two more hobbyists!! Our 17 year old daughter also has her own tarantulas and a ball python. Our kids love animals and have been taught how to properly care for all of them - dogs, cats, sugar gliders, lizards, tarantulas, roaches, etc. LOL

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well.. Just so everyone knows.. She didnt make it through the night.. :(
I'm so sorry, that sucks! At least her last day was with a caring owner. I'm sure she knew you tried your best. Sorry that ended that way. I'd call those old owners back and give 'em hell. Jerks.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Re: Not a Theraphosa

That makes me mad... so far I've gotten only good from CL (my two dogs and my pokey) but I am glad *I* didn't drive out there for this spider (she wasn't that far from me, I'm just on the edge of Dallas proper). I hope she pulls through. That's just wrong. You know she spend money on the setup from the store... why spend $100 or so on stuff for the animal and then not even read up on how to take care of it? I worked at pet stores in college, and we used to make certain that new critters went with proper cage, proper food, handling materiel (leash/harness, perch, hide, chews, gravel, sandpaper, whatever) and A CARE BOOK. Amazing what that extra (then $6) few bucks can teach you.

Marga

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You did all you could sir and you have my respect for getting her out of the terrible situation she was in, like you say you can't win them all but mate she was probably to far gone to of made any break through you did what you could and just proves what a caring chap you are. +1

BillyG

Arachnopeon
you did your thing,man!gosh what a b:mad:tch!praying for all the ts out there.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you all for the kinds words..

I did try and contact the lady.. No answer.. :rolleyes: She seemed like she was truly sorry to see the spider in it condition.. But apparently she didnt care.. Eh.. No big worries I guess...

She did tell me that the spider was given to her.. Said that all the information she had was given to her via petstore clerk.. :rolleyes:

The thing that got me.. She said that she looked on the internet to confirm what kind of spider it was.. She said it looked identical to a Theraphosa blondi.. (I want to see a blue-ish blondi!) But thats not what confused me..

She said she looked on the internet to confirm it.. Everyone knows when googling a T. blondi there will be a link to some sort of care sheet be it proper or semi proper.. Shoot.. I am almost positive if you google T. blondi, Goliath Birdeater or whatever.. It will provide a link to this very forum.. But.. I guess some people are not to bright..

Oh well.. I did atleast get a nice 20 gallon for a decent price.. I guess..

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you all for the kinds words..

I did try and contact the lady.. No answer.. :rolleyes: She seemed like she was truly sorry to see the spider in it condition.. But apparently she didnt care.. Eh.. No big worries I guess...

She did tell me that the spider was given to her.. Said that all the information she had was given to her via petstore clerk.. :rolleyes:

The thing that got me.. She said that she looked on the internet to confirm what kind of spider it was.. She said it looked identical to a Theraphosa blondi.. (I want to see a blue-ish blondi!) But thats not what confused me..

She said she looked on the internet to confirm it.. Everyone knows when googling a T. blondi there will be a link to some sort of care sheet be it proper or semi proper.. Shoot.. I am almost positive if you google T. blondi, Goliath Birdeater or whatever.. It will provide a link to this very forum.. But.. I guess some people are not to bright..

Oh well.. I did atleast get a nice 20 gallon for a decent price.. I guess..

At least something positive came out of it, any ideas what you will fill the tank with?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At least something positive came out of it, any ideas what you will fill the tank with?
I aint got a clue what I will put in it.. I have 4) 10 gallon, 1) 40 gallon, & now a 20 gallon just sitting around..

I know three of the 10 gallons will be used for my 3 P. ornata slings/juvies They are at 2.5"-3" right now.. Onces they out grow their current enclosure I will move them in a 10 gallon..

So.. That leaves me with a 1) 10 gallon, 1) 40 gallon, & 1) 20 gallon..

I think the 20 gallon might house my female LP one of these days.. When I get more room..

The 40 gallon needs alittle customizing done to it before its useable.. It was a fish tank for the LPS.. So it has 4) 10 gallon sections in it.. I was thinking of removing the dividers... Building a custom plexiglas lid...& using it for my blondi when it gets large enough.. That will be a little bit.. But atleast I have the time to fix it to where its just right for my critter.. :)

So... That leaves me with an extra 10 gallon.. I think.. Maybe.. Nope.. I got nothing.. LoL! I have no clue what to use it for.. {D

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I now have an empty 10 gallon also, since I lost Georgie. I may go back to that kid I got the pokey from and get his 3.5" OBT... I'm sure that will go over splendidly here at the office... LOL.

I think I will have to redo the lid on it (instead of a big one-piece screen). Such as a custom plexiglass top to sit under the screen, leaving less open and more closed... to limit escapes when I have my arm down in the tank. Which I am prone to do.

Tommy, we'll have to see if we can get together for the next exotics expo in the DFW area and go spider shopping!!!

Marga

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I now have an empty 10 gallon also, since I lost Georgie. I may go back to that kid I got the pokey from and get his 3.5" OBT... I'm sure that will go over splendidly here at the office... LOL.

I think I will have to redo the lid on it (instead of a big one-piece screen). Such as a custom plexiglass top to sit under the screen, leaving less open and more closed... to limit escapes when I have my arm down in the tank. Which I am prone to do.

Tommy, we'll have to see if we can get together for the next exotics expo in the DFW area and go spider shopping!!!

Marga
I wouldnt use a 10 gallon for a 3.5" OBT.. That (IMO) is a waste of a 10 gallon.. Thats my opinion though..

I would deff. get the OBT if its at the right price though! :D Put it in something smaller.. LoL!

If you want to do a plexi lid you wont need the screen.. I prefer not using screen lids for any of my enclosures.. Due to the fact the spider may wonder.. If it climbs to the top.. It might get stuck in the screen & cause it to loose a leg..

I am going to try & get the lids for my 10 gallons built already.. Where did you get your 10? Wal-Mart or petstore? I ask because they are different sizes.. If I have enough extra plexi I can get the measurements of your 10 & build you a plexi lid.. When we meet up I can bring it with me.. :)

As far as the next expo.. I have been trying to go to one.. But.. I have not had any luck getting a ride.. Being that my truck is "still" broke down.. I have to depend on my mom to take me.. But.. Since the next expo in Arlington is the 2 days before my B-Day.. I might convince them to take me.. :D {D

Hey! I can hope for the best.. Right? LoL! Its always fun meeting new people in the hobby.. So far.. I have met Joey (possomburg), Terry (Terry D), Jeff (ranchulas) (Only met him a couple times to buy some critters..), & I met John Slaughter once.. All of them are really cool guys.. :)

Joey & Terry both came over to go hunting.. That was a fun day.. I need to hurry & get my arse over to LA & go hunting with them.. :D

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Heck yeah you do Tommy! But even though we didn't find anything that day it was still a lot of fun.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heck yeah you do Tommy! But even though we didn't find anything that day it was still a lot of fun.
That was a fun day.. :D I really got a kick out of Terry.. How he was just asking random people where the grave sites were.. {D

I tell you what.. If some random fella came up to me & asked me that before I got into the hobby.. I would seriously think there was something wrong with him.. Like.. He was going to dig up a body, rob some stones or something... {D

Cool fella though!

I have went out to that last site.. The one we couldnt get into.. I couldnt find anything... Going to try again here in a few.. :D Maybe I might get lucky.. :D

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Good thing he was with us, cuz I'm sure neither of us would have asked anyone and we would have had no idea where to go {D. Terry is a really cool dude though, gonna head up to his crib in a few days and split some roaches with him.