Noob Question But its important.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was reffering to you TKOTH . I dont know what it is about This particular tarantula but its very aggressive. Trying to get a half of a Soda bottle over it can be very dangerous for the tarantula . Because of its speed and size It Will not be easy. Plus I'm a Noob lol. TKOTH what game you play?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've never tried to move a P. regalis, but I definately think that those dudes know what they're talking about. It may be greased lightning, but it's going to be greased lightning regardless of what you do to it. I don't think either of them was suggesting you HOLD the bottle while herding the spider. If you think your Tarantula is a little to feisty for this method then give one of the others in the sticky a go - but I don't think there are many other good options for a defensive spider. This one offers you a hands-off approach.

I also think that the warning about cooling a tarantula was a little overstated. They're cold-blooded, but I've never seen any hard evidence of long-term damage to any system from a short cool-down. If you're going to try that trick, I'd keep a good eye on it in the fridge, and make sure you're calming it down, and not freezing it to death (I can't offer much of a distinction of those two states, but think you can judge it for yourself at the time).

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Take a plastic garbage bag, rubber band it over the top of the enclosure (or otherwise, tie to secure the bag) and then chase the spider into the bag. It'll run a few laps, then calm down. You can then place the bag into the shipping container (a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut off will work just fine, just tape over the bottom of the bottle to secure the bag and padding inside). Ship with adequate padding as indicated by any of the stickies on this forum. :)

Just make sure there's adequate air in the sack, but this method should give you more than enough breathing room with your spider.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I was reffering to you TKOTH . I dont know what it is about This particular tarantula but its very aggressive. Trying to get a half of a Soda bottle over it can be very dangerous for the tarantula . Because of its speed and size It Will not be easy. Plus I'm a Noob lol. TKOTH what game you play?
Never said it was easy, just to stay calm.

What game do I play? Sorry I'm bit behind on the latest lingo :eek: . Currently Splinter Cell or do you mean what I do for a living? Biochemist (but growing up in a rough neighborhood helps keep calm under fire, literally at times)

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would sure like to know how Botar gets his p. murinus is those little vials with paper towels around them... yikes... :worship:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it got to be the fridge its works for me the ( t ) was ok and still is just do not let it stay in to long :? :? i think its ok if you are ok with it better then having a bite and if some say do not do it ask them to come over and do it for you over here its called puting your money where your mouth is ---- phil :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would sure like to know how Botar gets his p. murinus is those little vials with paper towels around them... yikes... :worship:
he probably uses a method similar to mine. i expect if i really wanted to i could get a MM regalis in a 50 dram (or whatever the 4" tall ones are) vial, no chilling.

you can either use a catch bottle like windchaser explained, but instead of shipping it in the bottle open the top and poke the tarantula into a smaller container. i personally ship using the smallest heavily padded containers possible to minimize the freedom of movement the tarantula has in transit. freedom of movement = broken spiders, in my opinion.

i've packed pretty much everything and never chilled anything. when i shipped out my mature male regalis i believe i caught it in a 3 liter soda bottle bell and transfered it from that into a small tupperware. if you are accustomed to your spider's (or other bugs) movements (like, say, from free handling a lot *ahem*) you can develop a feel for what the spider is going to do most of the time given certain stimulus and then goad it to do pretty much whatever you want. one thing, you can NOT out react a bolting tarantula... you can only out think it (hopefully, i have my doubts sometimes... not about the OP, specifically, though =P ).