[Noob] Mealworm-only Diet bad?

Leeum

Arachnopeon
Hi, noobie here,

I recently got my first T (beautiful 1" LP) and I have been primarily feeding it young crickets however after giving it some thought, I would be unable to breed the crickets and because of how out of the way the crickets are to buy I was wondering if moving to meal worms (I would breed them as well) would be okay diet-wise?

I've read that the nutritional value of mealworms is slightly less than that of a cricket, but has anyone experienced any issues by strictly feeding meal worms only? What about other species of worms?

Thank you for any advice!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hi, noobie here,

I recently got my first T (beautiful 1" LP) and I have been primarily feeding it young crickets however after giving it some thought, I would be unable to breed the crickets and because of how out of the way the crickets are to buy I was wondering if moving to meal worms (I would breed them as well) would be okay diet-wise?

I've read that the nutritional value of mealworms is slightly less than that of a cricket, but has anyone experienced any issues by strictly feeding meal worms only? What about other species of worms?

Thank you for any advice!
Meal worms are fine as feeders. Just keep in mind that as the tarantula grows it'll take more and more to fill it up. At some point I'd want to move to a bigger feeder so I didn't have to feed as often.

Leeum

Arachnopeon
Hi Trenor,

Thanks for the feedback.

So would moving to bigger mealworms/superworms be ideal as the T grows? Or by 'bigger feeder' do you mean large crickets etc?

As I live in Ontario Canada, roaches are illegal so I don't feel comfortable purchasing those.

Thanks again for any info.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you're going to feed nothing but mealworms (nothing wrong with that, by the way), then be sure to crush the heads. These things burrow immediately and can harm a tarantula with their powerful mandibles ("jaws").

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hi Trenor,

Thanks for the feedback.

So would moving to bigger mealworms/superworms be ideal as the T grows? Or by 'bigger feeder' do you mean large crickets etc?

As I live in Ontario Canada, roaches are illegal so I don't feel comfortable purchasing those.

Thanks again for any info.
Well, if I'm remembering correctly, mealworms only get around 1 inch max which isn't much of a meal for a large T. Superworms can get up to 2-2.5 inches so that would make a better meal. Large crickets work too. All of those will work, just make sure you feed the amount you need to.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I also have to go pretty far to purchase crickets, so I recently started a mealworm colony again. I've noticed my slings getting much plumper more quickly now than they did with just crickets. My ~1" LP seems pretty content--I imagine yours will be too. :)

I wouldn't know what to feed a fully grown LP if I didn't have roaches as an option, so that's a good question for someone else to answer. That said, I agree that it's best to keep your feeders on the up and up--wouldn't want to lose your T. Welcome to the hobby!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would just start with super worms.. At one inch a lp can eat them if you cut them up into chunks..

At 5- 6 inch she will be able to eat 30-40 meal worms at a time compared to 3-4 super worms..LPs are great feeders!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I also have to go pretty far to purchase crickets, so I recently started a mealworm colony again. I've noticed my slings getting much plumper more quickly now than they did with just crickets. My ~1" LP seems pretty content--I imagine yours will be too. :)

I wouldn't know what to feed a fully grown LP if I didn't have roaches as an option, so that's a good question for someone else to answer. That said, I agree that it's best to keep your feeders on the up and up--wouldn't want to lose your T. Welcome to the hobby!
You can't tell me you live in TN and can't find a local bait shop. :p They make a great source for crickets if you don't have a close LPS.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I know that @Poec54 only feeds crickets, and he's owned dozens of adult T. stirmi throughout the years. If I recall, he just tosses in something like 12 crickets at a time.

Leeum

Arachnopeon
At 5- 6 inch she will be able to eat 30-40 meal worms at a time compared to 3-4 super worms..LPs are great feeders!
That's great to hear, I'll look into moving up to Superworms then.

Thanks so much for all the input folks, really loving the community here on Arachnobaords. :)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I recommend starting your own B. dubia culture. I have had mine for 10 years and no more running to the LPS for smelly crickets.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I recommend starting your own B. dubia culture. I have had mine for 10 years and no more running to the LPS for smelly crickets.
He lives in Canada they are illegal up there. Also I wouldn't start a colony for just a T or two unless you need them for something else.

They are great feeders IMO though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm the first to scream from the rooftops about roaches, but I'm pretty sure the OP is right on saying that they're illegal in Canada.

Estein

Arachnoknight
You can't tell me you live in TN and can't find a local bait shop. :p They make a great source for crickets if you don't have a close LPS.
Ha, a great point. I actually live just inside the national park where live bait isn't allowed for fishing, so I don't have a huge amount of options in the immediate vicinity. I was across the mountains in western NC last weekend and stopped by a pet store I frequented when I lived there for some roaches, but they don't sell them anymore!

I guess I'll just have to get enough Ts to warrant having my own roach colony... :rolleyes:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
unless you need them for something else.
With your farming background, you'll like this one. One of my repeat customers buys roaches from me in bulk, but she always orders random sizes. Literally, she just says "Give me $20 worth, I don't care what size" and that's it. I finally asked her yesterday why it doesn't matter, and I got an interesting response.

She immediately freezes them and tosses them into her garden soil as she sees fit. They apparently make great fertilizer, but they unfortunately don't last very long. She also buys the frass from me for her house plants.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I know that @Poec54 only feeds crickets, and he's owned dozens of adult T. stirmi throughout the years. If I recall, he just tosses in something like 12 crickets at a time.
Awesome, that's great to know. I only have three currently, and my biggest is a 4" G. porteri, so I've never had to think much about large and frequent feedings. Can't wait for the little LP to beef up. :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
With your farming background, you'll like this one. One of my repeat customers buys roaches from me in bulk, but she always orders random sizes. Literally, she just says "Give me $20 worth, I don't care what size" and that's it. I finally asked her yesterday why it doesn't matter, and I got an interesting response.

She immediately freezes them and tosses them into her garden soil as she sees fit. They apparently make great fertilizer, but they unfortunately don't last very long. She also buys the frass from me for her house plants.
Ah nice, I've not thought about using them for fertilizer but they will work for that.

Your going to cringe when I tell you this, but I gave a guy I know a ton for two colonies a while back. He is starting to get mature male dubias in large amounts now. He is looking to get about 4 or so large colonies going. He is using them as a feeder for his chickens. :D They go nuts when he tosses them out.