Non-eating smithi

Reptidad

Arachnopeon
We recently aquired a 1/4" smithi that is not eating. As suggested we presented headless pins but still it remains on the side of the enclosure. We have never seen it on the substrate, any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How moist is your substrate. Smithi's like it dry. Hanging out on the tank sides suggests it doesn't like something about the substrate, most often its too wet.

Reptidad

Arachnopeon
Humidity

I would have to say that for the most part the substrate is fairly dry. We eyedrop one section of the bottle with a few drops of distilled once a week and leave the remainder of the substrate dry. There are droplets of water on one side of the bottle wall from substrate level to the top of the bottle, nothing excesive though.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two 1/4 inch slings of the same species in identical containers. One sticks to the side of the enclosure and the other has dug a burrow. If everything looks ok, I'd say that's its personal preference right now.That'll change as it grows.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my b. smithi is burrowing like crazy right now. it should be molting here soon because the abdomen is beginning to darken. i keep it on bone dry substrate with a few drops of water every week. i'm keeping it a little bit on the humid side since a molt is expected.