Nojoqui Tarantula Migration

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Nojoqui Tarantula Migration ,

http://www.k6sgh.com/migration.htm

I found this article on T migration habits, It is a pretty amazing article

just part of it...

In 1947, a local rancher installed an electric fence along his property. The fence happened to be in the migration path that year. The tarantulas attempted to cross over the fence by building a bridge with their bodies. The increased load on the electrical system ignited fires along the fence and the local electrical substation, plunging the entire central coast of California into a blackout and igniting one of the largest brush fires in Santa Barbara history.

Nature is amazing

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is this legit? its seems all myth. any other info to back this up?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was an interesting article, thank you for sharing it. I had the luck to see a large group of A. hentzi M(ature)M(ale)s out on the prowl/ crossing the street into my yard when I was younger. Unfortunately I was too scared to appreciate what I was seeing.:eek: The migration of thousands of tarantulas would definitely be a sight to see.:)

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to live in that area and Nojoqui Falls was a frequently used picnic site. My first captive tarantulas were caught in that area more than half a century ago. Never heard of this "great migration" though. I think this is something cooked up in recent years to generate some interest in the area with the hopes of bringing tourists and money in. The stories quoted in the article are a bit hokey too.

:rolleyes:"Ancestral breeding grounds"???? "Thought to be related to the Amazon tarantula"???? :rolleyes:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Migration?

I wouldn't consider a few MM T's roaming around looking for dates a `migration` but maybe it's me. T's are not a group/pack/herd/gaggle type of animal that would need the group mentality to return to a set/designated breeding ground would they?

I guess I don't know this for certain but I cannot imagine seeing Discovery channel as they do a low ground flyby camera shot, with high paid actor voice over, panning up beautiful outcropping of rocks only to descend on the other side to thousands and thousands of T's running around looking for mates like wildebeest or penguins..

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember reading this a few years ago. It's still pretty amusing, but I can't help but think of how many people this might have fooled or confused.

"In 1864, the rotting remains of a herd of cattle that happened to wander into the migration path, were found nearly completely consumed. Once thought to only consume leafy green vegetable matter, it is believed that the tarantulas went on a feeding frenzy prompted by an usually dry summer that depleted the local fauna."

Don't forget to feed your spiders lettuce. If you don't, one day when you're asleep, they'll completely consume your body.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
it is believed that the tarantulas went on a feeding frenzy prompted by an usually dry summer that depleted the local fauna."

Don't forget to feed your spiders lettuce. If you don't, one day when you're asleep, they'll completely consume your body.
lol thats rotf funny