no saltwater fish in pennsylvania? dogs must get there teeth filed?

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
alright so a friend of mine in ohio wants to move here eventually, she loves owning fish. and according to her friend theres laws here that say you cant own any saltwater fish. and also reguarding dogs you have to have there teeth filed down 3 times a month.

now ive worked with animals for a few years now, and i also know alot of the fish and game and agriculture laws.

but i cant find anything about that stuff. so im assuming its only in certain areas? :confused:

though i dont see how filing a dogs teeth down is humane, and how saltwater fish (aside from brakish water or invasive species) could do anything since for the most part pa is all freshwater (the deleware is brakish i think)

so could anyone enlighten me on these "laws" her friend was talking about? she also said that her neighbors dog was shot on the spot because the owners refused to get its teeth filed. i find that extremely hard to believe though unless the dog tried biting the officers that did it.

are they state law or just city ordinances put in by certain towns and cities?

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Contact the state's Fish and Wildlife Department on the keeping of any thought-to-be prohibited animal. A google search can help find the website for your state.

I know there are resources you can go to to find information on laws regarding pet regulations and laws per state, but emailing or calling the local authorities will be the best course of action there. Keep in mind though that what is allowed by the state may be prohibited by the city/county, for example breed bans. Check with both city and state.

In my state, if it does not have a KRS(Kentucky Revised Statute) number that you can directly quote from, it is not a law.

Do some investigating. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out. That filing thing seems absurd to me.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Contact the state's Fish and Wildlife Department on the keeping of any thought-to-be prohibited animal. A google search can help find the website for your state.

I know there are resources you can go to to find information on laws regarding pet regulations and laws per state, but emailing or calling the local authorities will be the best course of action there. Keep in mind though that what is allowed by the state may be prohibited by the city/county, for example breed bans. Check with both city and state.

In my state, if it does not have a KRS(Kentucky Revised Statute) number that you can directly quote from, it is not a law.

Do some investigating. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out. That filing thing seems absurd to me.
well thats the thing. according to fish and game theres no laws against salt water fish, just the normal "this is illegal because of invasiveness", etc

i know people who have salt water fish too. and i intend to investigate it further. ill let you know the results of my research when i get them.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
alright so a friend of mine in ohio wants to move here eventually, she loves owning fish. and according to her friend theres laws here that say you cant own any saltwater fish. and also reguarding dogs you have to have there teeth filed down 3 times a month.

now ive worked with animals for a few years now, and i also know alot of the fish and game and agriculture laws.

but i cant find anything about that stuff. so im assuming its only in certain areas? :confused:

though i dont see how filing a dogs teeth down is humane, and how saltwater fish (aside from brakish water or invasive species) could do anything since for the most part pa is all freshwater (the deleware is brakish i think)

so could anyone enlighten me on these "laws" her friend was talking about? she also said that her neighbors dog was shot on the spot because the owners refused to get its teeth filed. i find that extremely hard to believe though unless the dog tried biting the officers that did it.

are they state law or just city ordinances put in by certain towns and cities?
Pennsylvania has some very strict laws regarding dogs, how you should care for them, how many you can own, etc. Currently the law is being challenged in court. It was put into effect to supposedly combat "puppy mills", pushed by the AR people, who wanted it to be even more strict or limiting than it is, basically classifying anyone who has one or more sexually intact dogs as a "commercial breeder", whether or not they allowed those dogs to breed. The bill was weakened, but it's still intended to eliminate dog breeding in PA. I think the teeth "filing" refers to a stipulation that breeders and owners of multiple dogs MUST, under the law, have their dogs' teeth medically cleaned at least every three months, not filed down. This procedure requires general anesthesia, which carries its own risks, so basically you'd have to take the dog to a vet, who'd put it under anesthesia, every three months, four times per year. Anesthesia carries a certain risk of death, of course, which would increase each time it's done. This is one of the ways that anti-animal laws work, by making the keeping or breeding of animals so absurdly regulated and expensive and risky, that no one will be able to keep and breed animals. On the Yahoo Pet Law group, we've actually had members who have been arrested, and fined and had their dogs taken from them and sold immediately, because they failed to bring those dogs in every three months to have their teeth cleaned! It's real, folks, it is happening.

pitbulllady

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have not heard of these particular laws.
Years ago Erie had an ordinance that prohibited ALL reptiles and invertebrates. I cannot remember what else was included, but yes all were prohibited. It was an unenforced law, and I know it was overturned, or modified. Unfortunately you still do not see these listed in the classifieds because people think they are illegal, and going to get in trouble for having them.
There may be a local ordinance, but I would not be too worried. It was actually a local reptile shop that got the law changed, and nobody tried to prosecute anyone for having them. Not that I am aware of anyway.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pennsylvania has some very strict laws regarding dogs, how you should care for them, how many you can own, etc. Currently the law is being challenged in court. It was put into effect to supposedly combat "puppy mills", pushed by the AR people, who wanted it to be even more strict or limiting than it is, basically classifying anyone who has one or more sexually intact dogs as a "commercial breeder", whether or not they allowed those dogs to breed. The bill was weakened, but it's still intended to eliminate dog breeding in PA. I think the teeth "filing" refers to a stipulation that breeders and owners of multiple dogs MUST, under the law, have their dogs' teeth medically cleaned at least every three months, not filed down. This procedure requires general anesthesia, which carries its own risks, so basically you'd have to take the dog to a vet, who'd put it under anesthesia, every three months, four times per year. Anesthesia carries a certain risk of death, of course, which would increase each time it's done. This is one of the ways that anti-animal laws work, by making the keeping or breeding of animals so absurdly regulated and expensive and risky, that no one will be able to keep and breed animals. On the Yahoo Pet Law group, we've actually had members who have been arrested, and fined and had their dogs taken from them and sold immediately, because they failed to bring those dogs in every three months to have their teeth cleaned! It's real, folks, it is happening.

pitbulllady
i understand the puppy mill laws. but most of the laws arent enforced other then the amount of dogs you can own and leash laws. (unless your dog is a problem dog ex: complaints, biteing, etc) the reason i say that is because i had two golden retrievers and nobody ever bothered me about any of that stuff. and to top it off i cant find anything in the laws reguarding cleaning teeth or filing them other then the typical "if a bite occurs..." type laws.

so i dont think its a matter of PA being strict, most laws only affect puppy mills. im just trying to find out if its just a local town/city law or if its over the entire state, seeing how i cant find anything about these laws.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dogs you have to have there teeth filed down 3 times a month.
HUH!? :wall::? They're DOGS not rodents. They don't constantly regrow teeth. You do that and they won't be able to eat properly. They loose adult teeth and just like humans when they're gone, they're GONE! :mad: