No more crickets- what else

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What else can I feed my A. avic besides crickets, who keep escaping the tank, lol...she is about 3 inches or so big

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Meal worms, cockroaches and silkworms are just a few alternatives. Many cockroach species cannot climb glass.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Many cockroach species cannot climb glass.
Neither can crix.

I recommend mealworms, if you can't fix the problem of escaping food items now. But you will want to soon.

Mealworms you might have to 'handfeed' to her if she won't come down for them.

-Sean

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahahaha, im not hand feeding her, lol....I will try something bigger then crix so they cant escape thru the exo terra tank...

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it sounds kinda brutal, but so does stabbing half-inch fangs into it.

break off the back legs of the crix so they can't jump. it might work. luckily, i've never had this problem, as i kinda underfeed my rosea. she gobbles the darn things right up...

GL.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it sounds kinda brutal, but so does stabbing half-inch fangs into it.

break off the back legs of the crix so they can't jump. it might work. luckily, i've never had this problem, as i kinda underfeed my rosea. she gobbles the darn things right up...

GL.
thats right them legs got to come off i do it to all them with legs locust ect my revenge on the little sods lol -- phil

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hahahaha, im not hand feeding her, lol....I will try something bigger then crix so they cant escape thru the exo terra tank...
you want to try something bigger than crickets but you still have to keep in mind the size of your spider.... some roaches get really big. and the only way they can escape out of the terra is if you dont close those holes that are on top of the back of it. all you have to do is slide both of those black bars from the inside to the outside so they cover the holes and they can't escape unless you leave the top off of it and/ or the doors open...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would also rip off the back legs. If you gently squeeze the large part of the jumping legs (Leg III), then the cricket will throw the leg.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but it works quite well.

How are they escaping?

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Might want to tape up the the hole area. This way the crickets can't get behind the panel.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what kind of cage do you guys have, because i use a 10 gal terrerium, and it doesn't have any of that stuff...

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what kind of cage do you guys have, because i use a 10 gal terrerium, and it doesn't have any of that stuff...
I believe they are talking about an exo-terra tank, which has a styrofoam backing and holes for wires and such that crickets can escape from.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh, like the kinds with the lights built into the top? kk, i know what u mean. thx!

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ur right, they foam is annoying, lol....looked nice, but is driving me crazy. I will rip the legs off the crix, and see how that works, I will be taking the foam out next cleaning!!!! I taped the holes now, but i will still rip the legs off so they dont try jumping up and hiding on my lil avic, lol

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Just make sure that there is no sticky tape showing on the inside of the tank, spiders can get legs stuck on tape.:)

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol. taht'd be kinda funny if another spider saw that. like, in a comic, or something... yes, i know i have a sick mind...