ok i have some questions about the visible spectrum for a Tarantula

1. are night glow reptile lights good for my T
2. can they see the light radiated from a light painted purple or black or red
3. are regular 25 watt bulbs ok
4. is minor uv alright fo my T

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use both red and "moonlight" incandescent aquarium lighting bulbs for my T's.Doesn't seem to bother them at all.They're quite active while the lights are on.....peace...

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i know that amongst reptile people the Reptile Nite Lite bulbs are popular in blue and red.

just normal painted bulbs will be REALLY bright so you want to get the special kind made for reptiles at night. they are amazingly dimmer and still provide a fantastic view of the animal.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh and be careful with the wattage, you don't want to cook your poor T.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also use a red light on mine for a little ambient heat and night light (can't remember the wattage) - they are active in the light.

I would say they might not be able to see the red spectrum? I know red lights are often used as night lights on boats etc...so as not to impair normal human night vision...

I don't really know how to tie that back with what I was trying to say, but there could be some connection... RugbyDave should answer this question - he knows everything! :?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, even if they couldn't see the light, which i believe they still can, they can sense the heat.

i think the main thing is that it isn't as bright and therefore not as distracting. i know that reptiles can see red reptile lights however, Ts i'm not sure about...

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have used 25 watt red bulbs and the light was not over the enclosure but outside next to the enclosure. We had a P. murinus that we never saw until we put a red light on her then she would emerge slowly and go about her night time activities. We believe that the red light may diffuse other lights in use around the T. It worked more often than we expected and it worked with other sp. also. As for whether they can perceive the red light I wouldn't think so. Infrared light is invisible to the naked eye and the only way you can tell you are using a red light is the glass color or reflection off of objects. The actual emitted light , however, you cannot see. But who knows if they perceive the color spectrum, they have been around for 380 million years so they may have evolved with some mechanism to understand light. IMO

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tarantulas cannot see red light or black light.

Mark