night from friggin hell

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: sorry to hear about this...

Originally posted by Phillip
That truly sucks man. That is the very reason that I went with gas for heating my building. That way if the power goes out no big deal as we have fairly often power outages around here.

Phil
Phil,
Just a question. The blower on your gas heater is electric isn't it?
I mean if the power goes out, the gas burner on the heater won't run, will it? I don't think so.
The only reason I ask you this is, I don't want you thinking your T's are safe, if they arn't. I hope I'm wrong.

Ernie

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The secondary wrath

Originally posted by anthony2561
That blows man............If that happend 2 me i would cry:( but just think, there in a better place now:rolleyes: that big Cricket/hole/female/males in the sky!! There dancing on all of there eight legs, and waving at us and saying "Hey! I know you! Your that thing that gave my food and shelter. I love you man!"
They may also say, " Wait a minute!? YOU LET ME FREEZE!" The rain fall of urticulating hairs may be the 11th plague...

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to hear it. I had something like it similar happened to me, except it wasn't a power outage. Last year, which was my first year in college, I found out one of the first days that the building manager turns off the heater of the building so it gets extremely cold at night. I guess she felt that people don't need to stay warm at night in their beds... Anyhow, I immediately went out and got an electric heater the next day and been using it ever since. As far as power outage goes, I have a plan. I would fill the bath tub with hot water from the focet (spelling?) and immerse the containers in the water. Of course I would have to continuingly drain and refill with new hot water.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Old Man Trouble, beh :/
Sorry to hear that. While I absolutely detest too warm living quarters, it's sad when the opposite does something cruel :(

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
man...

sorry to hear about the losses mark! That really sucks! I would hate to lose 14 T's and herps! My condolences! I am very sorry for you! When I lossed my avic I thought it was the end of the world! I wouldnt want to believe what it feels like to lose 14!! Hope you feel better!:( :(

James

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ernie

Actually my heater doesn't have a blower at all. There is an optional one for it but it doesn't need it for my application. What I bought was a 5 brick Atlanta Stove heater and believe me in my 10 foot by 20 foot building it's more than enough. Set at the half way mark it keeps a constant 80 degrees regardless of outside temp. When it comes on it will go up a tad higher than that like 86 or so and it does cause one side of the building to be warmer than the other but that actually helps me on regulating temps. All I do is kep the snakes that need heat closest to it and the spiders furthest away.

Phil

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
man that situation sucks. may not be what you have lost, but i have a 2" usumbara sling i could spare. just molted yesterday, and is in great shape. i have 4 so sending you one of them really wouldnt be a big deal. not much, but if you are interested pm me. ill send it fedex free of charge.;)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
You see, this is a big reason I love this hobby; people are so big-hearted..
Peace,
Gillian

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
Well, here in New Hampshire last night, woke to find the power out and temps inside to the point you could see your breath, outside the guage said -12. , by the time I woke and noticed the temp, lost fourteen of my tarantulas, one four spot gecko, one jacksons chamelion and one water pipe in the bathroom, I feel like crying. I saved the rest by actually putting all the others in bed with me.

:( :( :( :( :(
I am so sorry to hear this, it must be terrible for you! I've lost nearly 70 s'lings in a matter of a week or two, so I know how it is! Not to mention several other t's here and there, as well as DOAs.

I am happy to hear you saved the rest of your collection! If you would like a baby whipscorpion or in the future a P. murinus, B. albopilosum or L. parahybana freebie please do let me know and I'll be happy to contribute to your present or future collection!

Fourteen t's and two herps is a lot to lose at once! My condolances!

Paul

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i feel your pain, mark. i lost 9 slings in the last 2 weeks. breaks my heart. on a positive note, at least you know why yours died! i only know the cause of one of my babies' deaths...

i agree--we should ban winter! my apartment is very hard to keep warm because my windows let so much cold air in. the power bill is unbelievable right now. what i would give to be living in texas again! bad circulation bites.

isnt it wonderful to see how much love this board has for people though? that really impressed me. havent been around much lately and i come back to find some lying kid wreaking havoc... it's refreshing to see the true beauty of the hobby in this thread.

kellygirl

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
Well, here in New Hampshire last night, woke to find the power out and temps inside to the point you could see your breath, outside the guage said -12. , by the time I woke and noticed the temp, lost fourteen of my tarantulas, one four spot gecko, one jacksons chamelion and one water pipe in the bathroom, I feel like crying. I saved the rest by actually putting all the others in bed with me.

:( :( :( :( :(
Getting to this (and other) posts a little late as I have been busy as all heck again. Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I have been dreading a prolonged power outage myself. We had a shorter one, a few hours, and I did something a little unconventional but it worked - I lit 25 candles in my T room (it's small) and believe it or not it keep things very toasty. Don't know how well it would work on a prolonged outage and you couldn't leave them unattended but it's a thought.

Gail

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl

i agree--we should ban winter! my apartment is very hard to keep warm because my windows let so much cold air in. the power bill is unbelievable right now. what i would give to be living in texas again! bad circulation bites.

kellygirl [/B]
Hah, the opposite applies to me..winters are good, since heating and isolation is good. Just open the windows sometimes for a little fresh air. In the summer though,...too friggin hot to be inside, and what can you do ? :( Wish I had a mausoleum or similiar half submerged-in the-earth stone building, somewhere in the quiet forest..aah, now there's something I have to get when global warming gets rediculous in a few..