night from friggin hell

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, here in New Hampshire last night, woke to find the power out and temps inside to the point you could see your breath, outside the guage said -12. , by the time I woke and noticed the temp, lost fourteen of my tarantulas, one four spot gecko, one jacksons chamelion and one water pipe in the bathroom, I feel like crying. I saved the rest by actually putting all the others in bed with me.

:( :( :( :( :(

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Damn, that sucks.

I can say I empathize with you though, it happened to me while I was out of town. I only lost two, but then again I only had ten when I left. I guess this is one of the things us northerners have to watch out for.

Again, sorry to hear about your loss.

Bill

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@#%&!

Oh God that sucks. I detest cold climates!
Time to move to the West Coast!

Bd

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
That blows man............If that happend 2 me i would cry:( but just think, there in a better place now:rolleyes: that big Cricket/hole/female/males in the sky!! There dancing on all of there eight legs, and waving at use and saying "Hey! I know you! Your that thing that gave my food and shelter. I love you man!"

Hope that cheers you up=D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yikes! so sorry for your loss! have you made plans to protect the rest of your animals if something like this happens again?
Ed

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh man that blows!!

Try the ICU on the spiders you suspect are dead... I have brought back a few frozen spiders that way.

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss.
14 T's thats alot to lose at one time.:(

I would like to donate a replacement sling to help you with your grief
let me know what you species you lost .
if i have one of those i will send you one free of charge when it warms up.
Bryan

Cronoss Exotic Bugs

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Damn...I was just saying that winter should be outlawed about an hour ago. I'm very sorry about your friends dying. Perhaps you could get a generator in case of a power outage? I live near Chicago, so I know how crappy winter can really be. We have the damn silliest weather on earth...It was decent yesterday, and now it's arctic. Grrrrrrrrrr....

I suggest we share a moment of silence while standing on our lawns widening the hole in the O-zone layer with air freshener.

Seriously, though, I hate winter. Soon as I get my degree I'm searching out a job in the south west. Arizona is callin' my name...

N.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats a cryin shame,
Can you do a Insurance claim on the water pipe? If you have water damage, your Insurance Co. should pay for the damages.
If you get my drift.

Ernie

SpyderByte

Arachnopeon
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I live in Washington state, so the temperatures are a little more mild here. But we had and electrical outage here. Temps in the 30s and the power was out almost 24hrs.

Lucky for me I camp and I was awake when the power went out. I used my camping stove to warm up the room. Started to boil water and poured the hot water into bowls and pots. I surrounded all my Ts (7 total, plus couple spiders) and my lizard with these containers of hot water. Then went to work for 12 hours, which turns out to be about 13hrs total with travel time. When I got back home the room was a little cool but not bad at all. The Ts containers stayed about 75 degrees. (and the electric was still out) And I went back to boiling water. And about another 10 hours later electric was back on. Good part was the room stayed warm and definately humid, the walls were even damp. And I had lots of hot water for coffee and bbq in the winter time rocks.

Just an emergency remedy for you guys who live in cold climates. I would have just left the stove on or gone out and got a gas powered heater but dont want to leave something like this unattended. Don't know which would be worse Ts freezing or burning to death.

Arnie

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
CRIPES ! OMG man, I am soooo sad to hear that, thats awful ! :( Yes, you should move to the cost ! Where its warm. :( Sorry man!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am very sorry to hear that. Fourteen Ts and some herps is a heavy price to pay. If I keep reading things like this, I may not be able to leave my apartment unattended in the winter again if the temps are going to be extreme.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Our deepest condolences Mark. That really sucks dude.....

Scott & Debby

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about that... I've had times like that and heard other similar horror stories (one guy's closet/T-room suffered a failed heater thermostat and baked just about everything - he had a massive and rare collection).

All I can say is, it happens and sometimes there's nothing you can do... But I think Bryan has the right idea. Give us a list of what you lost and we'll see what we can do to help out. :D

bill

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Mark,
I definitely agree with Bryan and Bill. Besides, a certain little scorp you gave me, is doing great. I would very much like to help you out..
Peace,
Gillian

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks to all that replied, esp the offers for replacements, I will be in mourning for awhile, but I'll get over it, yeah ok, well, I just wanted to say thanks to all for the support. I can rebuild my collection, gives me something to look foward to I guess, it just sucks looking at all the empty keepers sitting in thier room.

Thanks again.
Mark.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Mark,
You got it...I meant it, really. :)
Peace,
Gillian

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry

Sorry for your losses, that sucks big time.

Yeah, here temps are for now hovering around 10F and if something like that happens here, I'm gonna start a camp fire inside the living room with me and the T's around it:)

Kenny

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry to hear about this...

That truly sucks man. That is the very reason that I went with gas for heating my building. That way if the power goes out no big deal as we have fairly often power outages around here.

Phil