nice new addition.

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my brother picked up this little one from the pet/hardware store over a week ago. he said it was in a 10 gal. with wood chips and was very close to a molt. he picked her up and noticed there was scaring on the abdomen. he decided to get it to give it a better chance at healing and gave it to me as a house warming gift. I picked her up and saw the rump was black and there was a huge scar across the front of the abdomen. Got her all set up and watered and about three days later she molted with no complications and the wound is healing very well. is about 1/3 of what it was. Looking at what was left of the molt i noticed the wounded area was transparent. I think it might have taken a nasty fall on a sharp chip. who knows. it's getting better, that's all that matters. it's cool too because i was sick of waiting for my 3/4" L.P. to get bigger. very happy to take this beautiful one in.

the wound after molt

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A pet/hardware store? What the crap? What else do you have? A grocery/automotive store or maybe a Bed, bath, and computer repair. Pet/hardware store, that's a weird combo lol.

Anyway, nice addition, that's a good looking spider.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A pet/hardware store? What the crap? What else do you have? A grocery/automotive store or maybe a Bed, bath, and computer repair. Pet/hardware store, that's a weird combo lol.
Hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

That looks nasty though, poor baby.. Good on ya for giving it a new chance!:D

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Seems like the Pet Store consensus is to bed T's with wood chips. I've seen two stores do this already. The large Rosea I purchased from one store was a good foot 1/2 up the enclosure, my guess was out of dislike for the surface. She was just TOO high up the glass. She hasn't climbed since I brought her home.

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's a nasty looking scar on the exhuvium. Happy to hear it's healing well. Nice looking T. :)
That looks nasty though, poor baby.. Good on ya for giving it a new chance!:D
Thank you!

Anyway, nice addition, that's a good looking spider.
Lol!, i know, i get that a lot. Its more like a hardware store w/ a pet section. chillicothe is the border between redneck and city life. they mostly have crix, a few overpriced over priced lizards and snakes ($75 for a 12" ball python), some fish and various small mammals (and toys for them). i'm usually just there for feeder mice or crix. 3 min. drive is better than 1/2 hr to petsmart. plus you can get your pet, then if you need some stuff to make a cage, you can get it at the same time.

Seems like the Pet Store consensus is to bed T's with wood chips. I've seen two stores do this already. The large Rosea I purchased from one store was a good foot 1/2 up the enclosure, my guess was out of dislike for the surface. She was just TOO high up the glass. She hasn't climbed since I brought her home.
ya, i've noticed that too. maybe it's cheaper and easier for them to clean? not sure why a pet store is going to order and display these kinds of pets w/out doing research on habitats for that creature. i think the only thing they look at is the price tag and how much mark-up they can put on it. kinda sad really.

Thanks again everyone, for the kind words.

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks! i wish i knew for sure what sex, thought it looked fem when i first got it but after the molt I'm not so sure, molt was impossible to sex due to the injury and was pretty tough still to vent sex it (was very dark and kinda hard to tell either way). hopefully when it fattens up it will make it easier to tell.