Nhandu tripepii vs Pamphobeteus fortis

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
And how about the Phormics you like...its really the males that are drop dead gorgeous and not as much the females.
I don't think so
Phormictopus tend to look good whether they are male or female. Perhaps with the exception of cancerides. All others stay about the same regardless of sex

Phia

Arachnopeon
I'd put in a vote for P. fortis. My p. sp machala is a beautiful and colorful 1.5" sling but she does FLIPS to get to her food. It's amazing! Haha! She has quite a lot of personality

I have a mysterious sling that was given to me as a freebie as just a 'blonde'. I'm secretly hoping she is an N. tripepii. She could be a A. chalcodes, though. She's definitely not a P. cambrigei :shifty::rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
I don't think so
Phormictopus tend to look good whether they are male or female. Perhaps with the exception of cancerides. All others stay about the same regardless of sex
Neither of us is wrong...we just see things differently.....in fact I see things the opposite of you...female Pamps may not be lit up with color, but dang, I think they look fantastic.

Heck most are black with colorful blue or purple hues in the carapace and femurs....the single most popular t in the hobby, G. pulchra, is black...so it stands to reason that people generally tend to like black ts more than brown ones (like female Phormiucs..hehe)....

And regardless of species, the most colorful Phormics are male...just like Pamphs.;)

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
"regardless of species, the most colorful Phormicsare male...just like Pamphs.;)"

Not all phormic males are more colorful than females. If I am not mistaken the only species of Phormictopus with a more colorful male is Cancerides. Maybe Atrichomatus is as well. Auratus, all the sp greens, Dominican purple are all going to have the same colors regardless of sex.

And regardless of species, the most colorful Phormics are male...just like Pamphs.;)
No, most species have females that are just as colorful as the males. The exception would be cancerides

Last edited by a moderator:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I love my Pamphos and my one Nhandi tri.

Honestly they are both worth it. I've never had either kick a hair, they are always out, have never heard of a hide, and look stunning at all times.

The Nhandu is greenish/brown with purple/pink hairs, and you can't go wrong.

And Pamphos aren't over-rated. They are unrated in my opinion. Everybody should have 5.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
For me it would be a toss up; I'm going to end up with a big brownish beast regardless in the end, both eat like pigs and grow at a nice clip, so it comes down to "Do I want a shaggy Samsquatch bastard that belongs in a cryptid b-movie, or do I want a more velvety chunky beast that really does look like a "bird eater"?".

With Pamphs, unless you're going for something funky and distinctive when it comes to the females (often with a price tag to match), you're snagging them for the spectacular looking males... which P. fortis doesn't really have, they're pretty bland given the options out there. I'd rather turn the price dial up and have a big black Pamphobeteus cf. antinous monster from Peru at that point, or if wanting browns, a Pamphobeteus sp. mascara for the two-toned legs on the females for a still a nice looking female that doesn't strangle the wallet to death like some others. Nhandu tripepii wins out for me as a result if it's kept purely between the two. As is, I have a "samsquatch" myself, and she's one of my favourite NW terrestrials without flashy colors.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
@Olan and @VanessaS, what's the temperament like on those adult female P. sp. Machalas? Just curious about what to potentially expect from my juvie.
I haven't had her for that long, but she has been an angel so far. Even though she was transported and rehoused, then I had second thoughts and immediately rehoused her again, she has been extremely well behaved and laid back. She has never even kicked hairs at me. She doesn't even move when i disturb her enclosure or provide her with water. She is always out and has only been in her hide once. I have not fed her, so I don't know how her appetite is, but I suspect it is on par with the genus on a whole.
Except for a couple of species, I have always heard people refer to them as gentle giants and that has been my experience so far. Yes, youngsters are skittish, but none of mine even kick hair at me.
I will never understand why Theraphosa are so popular when you get all the good, and none of the bad, in Pamphobeteus.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I haven't had her for that long, but she has been an angel so far. Even though she was transported and rehoused, then I had second thoughts and immediately rehoused her again, she has been extremely well behaved and laid back. She has never even kicked hairs at me. She doesn't even move when i disturb her enclosure or provide her with water. She is always out and has only been in her hide once. I have not fed her, so I don't know how her appetite is, but I suspect it is on par with the genus on a whole.
Except for a couple of species, I have always heard people refer to them as gentle giants and that has been my experience so far. Yes, youngsters are skittish, but none of mine even kick hair at me.
I will never understand why Theraphosa are so popular when you get all the good, and none of the bad, in Pamphobeteus.
That's great that she's so laid back! My juvie can't be bothered to burrow either and she's not flicky at all but gosh can she ever teleport. Maybe with age she'll get as chill as your girl.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@Olan and @VanessaS, what's the temperament like on those adult female P. sp. Machalas? Just curious about what to potentially expect from my juvie.
Never hides, always out and generally hungry. Not skittish or flicky, although she did not like being rehoused and was very flicky then. But never responds to opening her lid, and moving her water dish either elicits no response or she thinks it’s something to be eaten.