Next T, help me pick?

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
If you want something different try a
Tapinauchaus their speed and looks are great.
The other new one i got that has me loving feeding time is P. cancerides

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
D diamantinensis are beautiful and easy to keep.
If you haven't got 1 yet get a Pamphobeteus or Thrixopelma

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I really liked the last "help me pick my next T" thread! I like hearing everyone's input, and while looking through previous posts is helpful, I like that it opens up a conversation.

As @Icculus was kind enough to inform me, my LPS has gotten in a nice shipment of new Ts and since my incei disappeared (it comes out to snatch prey at night but I haven't seen it in about a week if not longer) I've been looking for something new.

Now, I only have NW Ts and some of the Ts I'm about to list are OWs. I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle these guys (not physically handle, I mean I can take care of them properly) but if they're major no-nos, feel free to let me know. I know an OBT isn't a recommended first OW but I'm very aware of what goes into keeping them. I like the idea of this one because it's a good size - not so small that it will disappear on me but not large enough to intimidate the **** out of me. Hubby also has his heart set on the H. pulchripes.

1. Dolicholothele diamantinensis - 0.5"
2. Hapalopus sp. Colombia Lg - 0.25"
3. Harpactira pulchripes - 0.75"
4. Pterinopelma sazimai 1.5"
5. OBT - 1.5"
1 or 5

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I've been looking over the LPS list as well. I've been thinking about getting something a little more established than a sling though. I'd get #s 1 or 4 from that list, but that's just me.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
1, 3, or 4. Wait for the OBT or the Pumpkin Patch as a freebie. I'd personally go with a 1.5" P sazamai and wouldn't think twice about it. I still want one.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I highly recommend you get an OBT BUT!!! they are so common I would wait if you would have to pick out the five and pick one of the other four.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd personally go with a 1.5" P sazamai and wouldn't think twice about it. I still want one.
I second the motion. We recently picked up a sling of this species. Looking forward to seeing it get its color as it gets bigger. At 1.5", that would be my top choice.

cold blood

Staff member
I really liked the last "help me pick my next T" thread! I like hearing everyone's input, and while looking through previous posts is helpful, I like that it opens up a conversation.

As @Icculus was kind enough to inform me, my LPS has gotten in a nice shipment of new Ts and since my incei disappeared (it comes out to snatch prey at night but I haven't seen it in about a week if not longer) I've been looking for something new.

Now, I only have NW Ts and some of the Ts I'm about to list are OWs. I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle these guys (not physically handle, I mean I can take care of them properly) but if they're major no-nos, feel free to let me know. I know an OBT isn't a recommended first OW but I'm very aware of what goes into keeping them. I like the idea of this one because it's a good size - not so small that it will disappear on me but not large enough to intimidate the **** out of me. Hubby also has his heart set on the H. pulchripes.

1. Dolicholothele diamantinensis - 0.5"
2. Hapalopus sp. Colombia Lg - 0.25"
3. Harpactira pulchripes - 0.75"
4. Pterinopelma sazimai 1.5"
5. OBT - 1.5"
I'll address this first...

"I know an OBT isn't a recommended first OW but I'm very aware of what goes into keeping them. I like the idea of this one because it's a good size - not so small that it will disappear on me but not large enough to intimidate the **** out of me."

Just want to clear some thing up as this is not even a close description of an OBT.

First, they do get quite large, plenty large enough to be at top intimidation levels for a t. Females get to the 6" range.

And in terms of disappearance...lmao, they may be blaze orange, but it doesn't help much with their visibility...they still disappear a lot, especially if given proper room to burrow (not doing so only makes them more defensive). My H. macs and one of my AF irmina are the only ts I have that I see as much or less than the AF OBT. Plus, the fact that you could very well end up with one as a freebie in the future (or a ridiculously cheap add on) makes me offer the advice to wait on the OBT.

I'd get the sazami first and for most, its a nice species that is still uncommon.

For the other, H. pulchripes is the obvious choice, but just getting one sling will likely result in an expensive t you get to spend a year with....they have a very low frequency of females and fairly fast maturing males. Considering this, I would make the second the diamantinensis....its also an uncommon and beautiful spider.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'll address this first...

Just want to clear some thing up as this is not even a close description of an OBT.

First, they do get quite large, plenty large enough to be at top intimidation levels for a t. Females get to the 6" range.

And in terms of disappearance...lmao, they may be blaze orange, but it doesn't help much with their visibility...they still disappear a lot, especially if given proper room to burrow (not doing so only makes them more defensive). My H. macs and one of my AF irmina are the only ts I have that I see as much or less than the AF OBT. Plus, the fact that you could very well end up with one as a freebie in the future (or a ridiculously cheap add on) makes me offer the advice to wait on the OBT.

I'd get the sazami first and for most, its a nice species that is still uncommon.

For the other, H. pulchripes is the obvious choice, but just getting one sling will likely result in an expensive t you get to spend a year with....they have a very low frequency of females and fairly fast maturing males. Considering this, I would make the second the diamantinensis....its also an uncommon and beautiful spider.
I didn't mean once it's full size, I know they get decently large but I was referring to the size of the one I have the option of getting - 1.5"

Do male H. pulchripes really mature that quickly?:arghh::borg: