newbies

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) hi everyone,
just ordered a new T and made enquiries about obtaining others.
the one ive ordered which i shall pick up tuesday is commonly called a painted birdeater , its colouration is similar to a red knee but it has white knees and white spots plus its highly a aggresive terrestial T. its my first spiderling being the size of a penny:) but eats food its own size:D and is quite hardy. does anyone have one and what advice can you give me:? the vendor is giving me a caresheet , set up and food too though but any help would be appreciated:) .its costing me £8.00 but the adult would set me back ten times that much. also enquired about a bottleblue , brazil black , costa rican zebra and a mexican golden red rump:} just have to wait and see now whats available here at present.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmmmm

guess im just getting old , i cant remember the scientific name:( will have to ask him when i pick it up.actaully ill write it down so i dont forget again though he might have it on the care sheet:confused: . he is doing me a caresheet simply because i asked him to , think ill do this when ever i buy from him now, no point in getting info from pet shops here because there is only one ive found that sells TS and i dont exactly trust the owner. thats why i went to the supplier instead:D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only problem with common names is that they vary wildly from dealer to dealer...I can think of several that might fit the description. For example, Acathoscurria geniculata is a popular tarantula sometimes known as a "giant white knee" or "Brazillian White knee" or even "Santarem Pink haired" and others. Since they're big and colorful, I could easily imagine "Painted birdeater" being applied to it. Gail has a post with a nice pic of one, check it out, maybe that's what you have.

Wade

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A geniculata pic...

Maybe this will help you ID the spider in question. Here's an
A geniculata for comparison.
Phil

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yup

:) yup thats the one , memory can be a strange thing but i remember now , thx:) cant wait to get it and see how things progress. its not just having Ts but learning about them that i find so interesting and ive learnt a bit in the last two months give or take a few weeks:)