Newbie with questions on slings

Devin B

Arachnobaron
When do you think I should feed her? I got small crickets, but they are bigger than her. I did order pinheads and will getting them today. Should I just wait another 24 hours or give her more time to get adjusted? I also got small mealworms
I wait at least 3 or so days after getting a new sling. Also it may be easier it get whatever prey item is most convenient (I use dubia roaches from petco) and prekill the prey and leave it in the enclosure. This makes it easier for a timid T so they dont feal threatened. Also you dont have to worry about keeping pinheads alive or finding a reliable source of them.

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
Ok well I have fed her twice some pinheads, but have yet to see her eat. They are not in the container when I check the next day and she is still looking plump. I guess that is good. She runs if I try to offer anything directly to her

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
She ate her first mealworm! That would make it so much easier for me than the pinheads until she can take on larger crickets. I love it!!

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
Ok new question. She has not eaten since that first time on the 5th. Still looks plump and is acting agitated whenever I look at her to most the enclosure every other day. Last 3 days have been very warm, about 85 or more in the home. No interest in pinheads, small crickets or mealworms. Could she be getting ready for a molt?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ok new question. She has not eaten since that first time on the 5th. Still looks plump and is acting agitated whenever I look at her to most the enclosure every other day. Last 3 days have been very warm, about 85 or more in the home. No interest in pinheads, small crickets or mealworms. Could she be getting ready for a molt?
Refusing food is a classic sign of pre-molt. With slings, you can often see when pre-molt is imminent, because the abdomen will darken shortly before the molt. (You're not looking for one dark spot, which is just the normal patch of urticating hairs, but the whole abdomen to turn dark, like this.)

Tarantulas may also act more skittish during pre-molt. They may seal themselves into their burrows -- this is normal, so just leave it alone. Shortly before molting, they will usually make a molting mat of silk.

Once your tarantula flips onto its back or rolls onto its side, the molt has begun. Do not disturb the tarantula during this time, as it is vulnerable.

After the molt, it is normal for a tarantula to remain in the molting position for a while before flipping over and doing post-molt yoga stretches. Keep the water dish full, but do not offer prey until the fangs turn black. (Before that point, the fangs are soft and may break.) If you don't get to see the fangs, a week should be enough time for a tiny sling like yours.

cold blood

Staff member
For a sling, a mealworm is a gigantic meal...I feed slings 1/4ths or 1/3rds of the mealworm and that's still a good size meal. Chances are that its just got its fill and is waiting for the next molt. The more food fed in a short time will result in precisely this...a long pre-molt fast. Its no issue, just be patient and wait.

Kia4evr

Arachnopeon
Well she did eat. Took a large meal worm and cut it in half and she went for it. Should hold her over for a time. She prefers them over crickets