Newbie ? about Goliath Birdeater I just ordered

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
have any of you forgot that lets say it did decide to strike at your hand while holding him/her they have 1 inch fangs well capable of striking to or through the bone i dont think that holding is such a great idea unless very expereinced.

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by bodc21
have any of you forgot that lets say it did decide to strike at your hand while holding him/her they have 1 inch fangs well capable of striking to or through the bone i dont think that holding is such a great idea unless very expereinced.
I personally dont have any intentions of holding her. And my hand isnt going to be in her enclosure...thats what the forceps are for.

My eventual home for her is a 30 gallon breeder fish tank. Not very tall, wide and long. I just have to figure out a way to make a lid.

Jen

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A piece of plexiglass with some holes drilled/burned into it for ventilation would work nicely with your set-up. It would help maintain humidity and give you a view from above.

Botar

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
A piece of plexiglass with some holes drilled/burned into it for ventilation would work nicely with your set-up. It would help maintain humidity and give you a view from above.

Botar
Yea I thought of that....I just wanted a way to making a locking lid. Something that required some effort to get into or out of ;). Ive thought about getting the screen tops that the make for them and taking out the screen and adhering the plexiglass. Those lids snap over the rim. Ive even thought about only drilling half of it to retain that much more humidity. Do you think that will work Botar??

Thanks for your help
Jennifer

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just make a habbit of weighting my snake cages down. (They're the only ones I use aquariums for.)

Just put something on each side of the tank and you shouldn't have a problem. It's easier :p

But I never really thought about cutting out a piece of plexiglass, maybe I'll try it -- I've been wanting a T. Blondi.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LunarFaery,

I think that would work great. It's actually a great idea, but I would personally just go with what Valael described. If you add a good number of T's to your collection, you'll probably be a little less asthetically inclined. As for the number of holes, drill what you would consider the minimum. You can always drill more holes later, but you can't "remove" a hole you've already drilled.

Botar

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Guys it wasn;t oshea it was nigel marvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

mike

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Other than the sound advice that has already been given, the best thing thing I can add is to get to know the temperament of your blondi. They vary among individuals as they do among species.

And for god's sake, if you do handle her, do it so that she is safe as well...in other words, don't drop her!

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, this thread was started in April. What's up with the revival?

@737Eater, I hope all went well with your big blondi girl.

@Longboard...;P

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i revived it by accident cuz i wanted to make a year old correction:D

mike

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
YOU DING DONG!!!

Well, I can attest to the itch factor of their hairs! I've been flicked by every flicker I own, but the t. blondi's hairs are just like fiberglass!!

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well after reading this thread, I don't think I'll be adding a blondi to my collection anytime soon. How the heck do you move one of those to another tank if you have to? I'd have to throw a large mixing bowl over it! Seems like they're born "Evil".
My cobalt gives me enough excitement
for now. I'm not sure I'll be able to handly my L parahybanas when they grow up but at least I have a lot of time to get used to the idea of a Big, mean, aggressive, bold spider!:p

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My T. blondi male is anything but aggressive. He is normally very docile and can be defensive at expected times (when I mess with stuff in his cage as needed). His defensiveness is manifested primarily by hissing. He rarely kicks hair and has never launched an attack.

And for the record, I have handled him twice, and only for the purpose of moving him. Although he was perfectly calm, I don't make a habit of it for both of our benefits.

But blondis do require some knowlege and attention. As mentioned, they need their humidity and temps high.

From reading this thread, I noted several posts that indicated similar thoughts about defensive behavior versus aggression. I think blondis get a bad rap, mostly from fools who either don't know anything about them or mistreat them. And the latter of those fools deserve what they get.

Cripes!

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Diane,
Easy. Very soft paintbrush, and a large container to transfer with. Say, a large tupperware, or a coffee can. My blondi is far from evil or, aggressive. On the contrary, she hides, most of the time.

Peace, light & eternal love..
Gillian
)0(

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Paintbursh?? Oh no! I tried that with my Cobalt and she nearly made me pee myself! She and the rest of my herd really don't like the paintbrush thing.
A straw, however doesn't seem to bother them much.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Diane!

Originally posted by Diane S
Well after reading this thread, I don't think I'll be adding a blondi to my collection anytime soon."
I'm not sure I'll be able to handly my L parahybanas when they grow up but at least I have a lot of time to get used to the idea of a Big, mean, aggressive, bold spider!:p

aw, thats what I think. I was researching and considering getting a Bondi but since reading this thread, I think I have changed my mind for now.

As far as the parahybana goes- I dont think you have that much time to wait. They grow so fast! (at least mine has!) She is awesome, always out and always ready to eat. I managed to handle her just to shoo her from her old tank to my hand/the edge of her new tank-does that count as handling? I would have been too stressed to try any more than that. Oh, and she would have been stressed too. :)

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Diane S
I'm not sure I'll be able to handly my L parahybanas when they grow up but at least I have a lot of time to get used to the idea of a Big, mean, aggressive, bold spider!:p
Hehehe, I just took some pictures of my Parahybanas for my thread on her and I decided I did not feel like putting her back so she is just chillin on my lap right now, Big, mean, aggressive, bold LOL mine is farthest thing from that, not to say they are all like this one though. :D Greg

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw that picture! I'm totally amazed at how you can handle such a large T like that.:eek: I'm still getting up the nerve to hold my B smithi but it's not as cooperative as I'd like. Still abit flicky. My B emilia on the other hand is really laid back. It's only a 1" sling but way more calmer than my G pulchra even and doesn't mind being taken out of her little cup.:p