newb

annex

Arachnopeon
lol sure you all see alot of these, but hey imma do it anyway...

I'm new here... brought in by and with a curiosity peaked by conipto my good friend there.

I'm 18, don't like anything high maintenance, but due to the unparalelled cool of these spideys, and listening to conipto there enough i think i want one! or.. several

now granted... those baboon types look cool as hell.. i'm not stupid either, and wouldn't want to go to crazy.. that and as i said i'm 18 (and a student) so poor as dirt ;)

as such! currently i'm vageully looking at what look to me to be a cheap and easy lot... at least to begin with (as i'm still not sure how far into this 'hobby' i'd like to go)

Obviously then G. rosea is up there.. also E. campestrus, and B. albopilosum....

currently with a prefrence towards E. campestrus...

I was hoping i might get a bit of feedback on this, as a newb to this i don't know too much...

i should also mention.. i'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada...
reason for the side note being, one thing i'm worried about.. is temperature control, it can get a bit chilly outside... i'm not actually sure how cold it can get in my room though i know some nites seem a bit cool.

Also as to my location, i'm curious about where to purchase things, i haven't actually checked my local pet stores yet, though i'm not overly optomistic. And thus far have found 'chris' creepy crawlies' (thank you conipto) in ontario, as far as a dealer goes.

So yeah! that's my info/questions/introduction (essay?)
hehe sorry bout the length!
it's late and i'm sorta hyperactive with spiders on the brain ;)

anyhoo, thanx!
eager to meet y'all, and g'night! ;)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As for living in Canada, although I live in the warmest part of Canada, I used to live in one of the coldest. The temperature outside doesnt matter. If your house is so cold that you are uncomfortable in it then you have a problem. ROom termperature is fine for spiders.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You might also consider a Chaco golden knee (Grammastola aureostriatum). The care sheets list temperature and humidity requirements to be a bit lower with these. They get big, and are supposed to be docile.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The ones you have mentioned are all good beginner t's. Out of your list, I would choose the E. campestrus, as it has the most interesting markings IMO. But I have never had one, so I know nothing about their tarantuality. Brachypelmas are reputed to have plenty of tarantuality, without being aggressing like an old worlder. They like to kick hairs. I have a B. vagans (which I think you should consider putting on your list as they are quite inexpensive if you buy them online) and a B. angsturoum. I like them both.

I started out with a rosie, which was good for handling. But when it was in its vivarium, it was mostly just a stump. I do hear lots of people on this site say how much they love their rosey and that they are somewhat active. If I were to ever get another one, I would look for a red phase one instead of a brown phase one.

Good Luck
Big Dragonfly

Oh yeah, check into Brachypelma fillinthespecies.

annex

Arachnopeon
Apreciate the info guys :))

ok so through even MORE talking with Bill.. n looking around online, and being stumped between my original 3 (i looked at the others, n i apreciate the info) but yeah i remained stuck between em..OH and realized an affinity for the C. fasciatum... (sexy sexy)

but here's the thing... yes i'm a beginner...
but i think i have a fair amount of maturity about things... anyhoo i've taken a ridiculous liking so the Pterinochilus Murinus.... like.. a ridiculous liking.. granted a bit worried about taking one on only because anywhere i read their described as pretty evil!! but on the flip side of that i've never taken care of a spidey before so not sure if even though it might be more 'advanced' it won't be a prob for me.
In any event, it causes me a bit of worry but at the same time.. damn i want it.. it's just so cool, and still on the inexpensive side of things (which is another thing i like, as a beginner, lol)

As mentioned i'm Canadian, and i'd like to know how distributers down there feel about shipping up here? i don't know how that works, or really how shipping spiders works.

midwestart - do you send to canada ever? (bill gives you an uber high recomendation, lol)

Not sure whether i'll get one yet (the ONLY thing keeping me from just saying yes i want it, is my lack of experiance) but if i do, i'd like to go from someone i feel good about.... Now granted i don't KNOW ya (if any of you even read this, lol) but... Chris you have a pretty good page runnin, n sound like a good canadian source!

so yeah! any info anyone could provide bout the usambar baboon, their thoughts on my getting one, where to get it, how it'd get here, LOL n how much it'd be to get here! would be great!!

thanx :p

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by annex
Apreciate the info guys :))

ok so through even MORE talking with Bill.. n looking around online, and being stumped between my original 3 (i looked at the others, n i apreciate the info) but yeah i remained stuck between em..OH and realized an affinity for the C. fasciatum...... anyhoo i've taken a ridiculous liking so the Pterinochilus Murinus....

I'm tellin ya John, get the tiger rump. If you like it, get an usambara next, or the one after next. Who says you have to (or will be able to) stop with just one...

Bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Distributors from America are nearly impossible to find who are willing to ship over the border. Chris from Creepy Crawlies is the best dealer in Canada. Talk to him.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
RE

Get a cobalt blue or king baboon super docile t's(just kidding), actualy i would get a brazilian black or maybe a mexican redknee these are really docile t's, i've seen rosie hairs that were psycho and some that were calm ---Jeff

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm if you're careful (as you should be with all T's) I'd think the the P.Murinus to be a good spider to get; as I hear they're supposed to super-hardy. The evil thing applies to a good deal of rosie and smithis and whatevers as well sometimes ;) I wouldn't dream of ever picking up my rosea.. hehe

annex

Arachnopeon
lol, actually strangely i've heard of crazy ass roseas'.. hehe

'JacenBeers' yer from like BC right?

I read yer thing about how you have a local shop that is wicked.
I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to look round at some of the pet stores around here, see if any have exotic pets etc.

And i sorta had that feeling about the distributers, wasn't sure.. figured i'd ask about the usa-->canada thing, hehe *shrugs*

I'm thinking if a pet shop around here is decent, that'd be cool.. somehow i have doubts though *sigh/wimper/groan* ;)

anyhoo...
if i can, n thinks look good
i may go with bill's advice, start with the tiger rump.. go from there, we'll see!

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
My Chilean rose is a great spider, really tame.
But my first spider was a Curly hair (Brachypelma albopilosum). It is still the tamest, fattest, funniest spider in my collection. He eats like a pig, i think he's going to pop sometimes.

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd go for a G. pulchra (Brazilian Black) as someone mentioned up above. One thing good about them is that they eat *alot*, and earlier in the hobby I used to obsess about how my T's weren't eating. Now my pulchra sling has eaten what looks to be much much more than I believe fits in him. ;) Also pure black is just plain cool. Other than that, I'd say the tigerrump is another good choice. I don't have one, but I'm drooling. My first T is what I think is an A. anax. Super calm, never bit me or tried to. Spends a good deal of time running though. Maybe I smell of cricket carnage. :?
Maiming crickets....the things I do for my T's :rolleyes:

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Brazilian blacks can be expensive unless you get them very young. And i get the opinion he wants a slightly larger spider.
If you can get a sub-adult or an adult Brazilian black for cheap, then go for it, but dont try to raise a sling untill you can deal with the much hardier adults.

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by King_Looey
Brazilian blacks can be expensive unless you get them very young. And i get the opinion he wants a slightly larger spider.
If you can get a sub-adult or an adult Brazilian black for cheap, then go for it, but dont try to raise a sling untill you can deal with the much hardier adults.
I'm pretty new, and I'm not having the least bit of trouble with my slings. Now, you say he wants larger? I've read Brazilian Blacks get up to 6". Remember, we're talking spider here. ;) Seems pretty big to me. :D
*shrug*
I'm used to looking at the little pea-sized spiders on my stairway, the only spiders naturally in my house; these tarantulas are all big to me. ;P

annex

Arachnopeon
well for me, as i'm ENTIRELY new... i still haven't even scoped my local pet shops, lol

but yeah... because i'm new don't know if i'll end up taking to this as a hobby (though we'll see, so far just in speculation it seems freakinw icked) and because i'm poor! lol.. price is a big consideration... i wouldn't want a sling.. just on the basis that because i'm so new... it'd take a bit more trouble, n not be as cool.. for quite a while till it grew up.... i'd LOVE to raise a sling, but.. first i'd rather get a juvinile... something...

at first when i was looking at this, i was worried bout.. docility... which is why i liked the idea of a C rosea... they sounded fairly simple generally (except for the accounts i mentioned of crazy ones).. though as you can see above, i've sorta overcome that, cuz i'd LOVE a Usambar Baboon...

Though... that still might be a BIT too big a jump for a first spidey... so i'm really leaning towards bill's advice, of going with the tiger rump (which i also love, how can you not)... and then going from there (if i get another, next would be the usambar)

anyhoo. yeah.. i dunno! so many T's
so many considerations!
so little knowledge!!!!! LOL (like.. as in my lack of knowledge)