Newb needs help.

Aldalome

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi male, about 4",I had removed him from the traveling container after having him for a night, I placed him in a container that I made myself, I used a substrate of organic potting soil and moss(sterilized), i moistened the soil a bit to pack it down then let it dry and placed some moss on top, It has only been a day but he seems sluggish and i attempted to feed him in the traveling container yesterday and again just a couple hours ago, without any interest in the cricket... should i assume that he will need to acclimatize to his new environment, or maybe he's going to molt? It's my first T. so it stresses me out that I may be doing something wrong... any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, I'm going to ask you to check under it's first two legs, not it's pedipalps (two appendages directly beside the fangs). What you are looking for is hooks under it's legs. Also look at the ends of the pedipalps and see if they look balled up like boxing gloves. What you are checking is to see if it is a mature male. This will mean it's at the last stage of it's life. Research mature male and see if yours is one.

Second, if it is not a mature male, look up DKS (Dyskinetic syndrome) and see if this matches what you are seeing.

And third, may I ask why you purchased a male rather than a spiderling or female?

Welcome to the boards and the hobby. I hope your prepared for more tarantulas ;)

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently purchased a euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi male, about 4",I had removed him from the traveling container after having him for a night, I placed him in a container that I made myself, I used a substrate of organic potting soil and moss(sterilized), i moistened the soil a bit to pack it down then let it dry and placed some moss on top, It has only been a day but he seems sluggish and i attempted to feed him in the traveling container yesterday and again just a couple hours ago, without any interest in the cricket... should i assume that he will need to acclimatize to his new environment, or maybe he's going to molt? It's my first T. so it stresses me out that I may be doing something wrong... any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
I've had Ts go weeks before eating for me. Let him chill out for a bit.

Aldalome

Arachnopeon
I checked for both the balled pedipalps and the hooks on the front legs, both are present, my lack of knowledge allowed me to make a poor choice on first T., the reason I purchased it is because it was relatively cheap and based on some research into the type I assumed it would grow to 51/2 - 6", what does it mean for the T.? will it live long? will it remain somewhat sluggish?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I checked for both the balled pedipalps and the hooks on the front legs, both are present, my lack of knowledge allowed me to make a poor choice on first T., the reason I purchased it is because it was relatively cheap and based on some research into the type I assumed it would grow to 51/2 - 6", what does it mean for the T.? will it live long? will it remain somewhat sluggish?
Search for mature male and read up. This means it is at the last stage of it's life. It will not make it through it's next molt, although some do complete a post-ultimate molt. Most likely it will remain sluggish and will hardly eat. Some species will live longer than others as mature males, as for yours I don't know. In order to maximize it's life span, keep it at lower temps and feed it one cricket every week or two and hope it lives longer. Ive read mature males can live anywhere between 6 months and a few years even on rare occasions. What you could do is look for someone with a female and do a 50/50 loan so they can breed them and you can get some spiderlings in return. Where did you purchase it? Did they not give you all this info? I would try and return it if I were you and get a spiderling.

Good luck

Aldalome

Arachnopeon
Well, I bought it off craigslist so it's kinda buyer beware, I'll try and keep him alive for as long as possible. I will probably refrain from buying any more off of craigslist. Even tho there is a 71/2" female salmon pink birdeater going for 100$. :} .Thanks very much for your help.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How much did you pay for it?

I wouldn't avoid buying them off craigslist, just do some research for a while and know what you are looking for. Just tell the person you want to meet and look at the spider before you purchase. Or ask them
the questions about the hooks like I asked you. If you do your research on here, you'll soon be able to look at a tarantula and tell if it's a mature male or tell how healthy it is or if it's been taken care of.

I've got some pretty great deals off of craigslist. So don't throw that option out.

As for the L. parahybana (Salmon pink), does that come with it's setup? I would offer them $75. Just might get it.

Good luck.

Aldalome

Arachnopeon
I paid 40$ for it, which at the time seemed like a deal... As for the L. parahybana he's asking 100$ for the T. and an extra 20$ for the enclosure, maybe it would be a good deal to get them both for 100$, i'll do some research into how to properly sex this type.