New World Fossorial Species?

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
I'm just wondering what fossorial species the new world offer? I know of some genera/species:

Cyriocosmus
Ephebopus
Euthycaelus
Aphonopelma seemani
Kochiana brunnipes
Megaphobema robustum
Neoholothele
incei

I know a number of species of different genera are opportunistic burrowers as well or burrow at younger stages of their life span: Aphonopelma/Brachypelma/Tliltocatl for instance. But I mean species that always/mainly burrow when given the opportunity. I'm sure there are a lot more than the ones I've listed, particularly dwarf genera/species as I'm not too familiar with them.

Edit: Updated the list with everyone's info, thanks!

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
We're gonna pretend you left Ceratogyrus off on accident, ok?
They arent NW but they are basically NW because you need to get one

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
=old world?
If you want hair flingers then that's cool. C. Darlingi are the most chill OW fossorial you can get. Basically NW. Just don't poke them with your fingers. Bam NW. If you want hairs then get a Theraphosa. I hear they are fun.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I was under the impression that every "terrestrial" was just a fossorial kept wrong.

Pretty sure all female terrestrial tarantulas live in some sort of hide or burrow

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I was under the impression that every "terrestrial" was just a fossorial kept wrong.

Pretty sure all female terrestrial tarantulas live in some sort of hide or burrow
Not sure if that is correct for NW. But is 100% dead right for OW fossorial. If you want a stressed angry OW with nowhere to go but your fingers, this is the jam.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Not sure if that is correct for NW. But is 100% dead right for OW fossorial. If you want a stressed angry OW with nowhere to go but your fingers, this is the jam.
I've never heard of a terrestrial species that has females that sit out in the open

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I've never heard of a terrestrial species that has females that sit out in the open
Both OW and NW?

I have a couple C.Cyaneopubescens fems that prefer to walk the streets w/o a hoe hustler in sight. But a dude I plan to breed them with. Lt Dan is gonna get his genes moved on.
I built them hides, but they chose to web everything off. It's up to them really.

Last edited by a moderator:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I have a couple C.Cyaneopubescens fems that prefer to walk the streets w/o a hoe hustler in sight. But a dude I plan to breed them with. Lt Dan is gonna get his genes moved on.
I built them hides, but they chose to web everything off. It's up to them really.
Fact! But I personally classify them as semi-terrestrial!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
The web is their hide in the same way an anemone is a clownfishes hide.
They know the web better than any other animal and it offers them protection

I'm not saying a true wandering female tarantula doesn't exist, I'm just saying I've never heard of one 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Somebody beat me to it but Aphonopelma seemanni. I see my C. lividus more than my seemanni lol She is always in her burrow.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
We're gonna pretend you left Ceratogyrus off on accident, ok?
They arent NW but they are basically NW because you need to get one
I asked for NW, not OW. I've had a C. darlingi before and they are great. But the OW fossorial list is extremely extensive/long. I was hoping to get a decent list of NW fossorials.

Most will take over existing hides (like small mammal burrows) or burrow fairly shallow from what I understand. I'm more so talking about obligate burrowers who always burrow and need large amounts of substrate/who create intricate tunnels etc.

Nope, I keep M. mesomelas and it's never burrowed despite having ample sub depth, even the people who've had specimens that dig have said they're not hardcore burrowers like robustum.

Not fossorial, they're heavy-webbing terrestrials.
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that N. incei was a heavy webbing burrower.

I've been having a bit more of a look and will also add kochiana brunnipes to the list. It appears to be an obligate burrower.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope, I keep M. mesomelas and it's never burrowed despite having ample sub depth, even the people who've had specimens that dig have said they're not hardcore burrowers like robustum.

Not fossorial, they're heavy-webbing terrestrials.
All of my incei make intricate multi-opening burrows, as other owners have observed too. It’s a whack-a-mole situation in there

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
All of my incei make intricate multi-opening burrows, as other owners have observed too. It’s a whack-a-mole situation in there
Nothing I currently own of have kept from the Ischnocolinae subfamily has ever burrowed despite me providing more than enough sub for them to do so, at most they've moved a little dirt around to make constructing their web tunnels easier. Hardly anyone I've spoken to has observed them digging burrows either.

Last edited: