New World Arboreal Behavior

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Hello, I was just wondering about the behavioral differences between Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, and Caribena species. I know Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius species are known to be skittish and more defensive, and I have heard Avics and Caribenas are more laid back, easier for beginners, but I have also heard they can sometimes be skittish and defensive. Can anyone who has some experience with any or all of these species provide some insight on which species are more relaxed or more skittish? Thanks.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I keep all four. I would say the biggest difference in behavior is speed. Tapis are considered some of the fastest.

Other behaviors will vary by specimen but in my opinion, the defensive and skittish traits depend a lot on how you set their enclosure up. They need several places to hide, but once they find one they feel safe in you'd never guess there was a tarantula inside.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Other behaviors will vary by specimen but in my opinion, the defensive and skittish traits depend a lot on how you set their enclosure up.
This. I do not keep tapis personally, but have kept the other 3. Avis typically are never defensive, unless you count the poop cannon lol. I also have had zero issues with any of my Psalmos. Heck, I swear I can probably handle my P.cambridgei MM, if I was into that...which I am not. I'd say skittishness would be the norm for all of them, as most arboreals do not like to be disturbed.

cold blood

Staff member
I was just wondering about the behavioral differences between Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, and Caribena species.
The differences are stark....night and day. Avics and caribena are arboreal in the truest sense....even referred to as obligate arboreals....these avic types are really the only arboreals like this, at least in captivity. They live exclusively off the ground, molt in web tubes and only come to the ground briefly to drink or feed.

Tappies and Psalmos are more like the rest of the (OW) arboreals in that they actually spend much of their time at ground level, often making depressions beneath ground cover and only coming up to feed or stretch out.....in fact, you can almost set them up terrestrially and they will do just fine. Its actually unusual (although it does happen occasionally) for one of these to make their homes at elevated positions......even in the wild its been noted that Psalms like irminia will often live in burrows on the sides of roads or on hills...something you would never ever see from any avic type.

Other differences are in the manner in which they hunt...avic types are more ambush predators, pouncers if you will....Tappies and Psalmos are far far more aggressive hunters, often feeling prey vibrations and searching them out actively. These two are supreme eaters and are also two of the very fastest growing genera on the planet, with males maturing in as little as 10 months, and females being ready to breed in just over a year......in that time most avic types would still be in the latter parts of the sling stage at best.

Avis typically are never defensive,
laeta is one of the absolutely most defensive, nasty ts on the planet. Other avics can be defensive on occasion as well...the difference is that they have urticating hairs, which tappies and Psalms lack....so this means that they also have the ability to be defensive in a totally different manner.

Also, while some Psalms like irminia, can be very defensive, others like cams are less so...others like reduncus are much less so....I havent had much defensiveness at all from any tappies.

Last edited:

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don't have a tapi yet...but it's high on my list. I do have two P. irminia, and they're definitely making me want to keep more of that genus. No joke on the growth -- I got a little 1" sling in October 2023 that molted into a mature male in October 2024 at a very leggy 5" or so. And that's at whatever temperature we keep the house... Usually stays about 70F in that room.

For contrast, my C. versicolor I got as a 2" sling/juvi in April 2022, and he matured at a similar size just this January. He's also a big derp who is afraid of everything in the world that isn't a cricket. I've seen him jump straight into the side of the bin because I learned over a little too fast to look at him (or his neighbor).

The A. purpurea I got in Feb 2022 is about 3.5" and still coming into her adult colors. She's got a little more courage than the versi (though also plenty of derp) and is more likely to regularly come out and explore, walk around her bin, be a snot about rehouses etc. she took a stroll around the outside of her new bin and a flying leap off it last time...the versi at least once needed to be pretty much shoveled into the catch cup with the paintbrush because he was hunkered down pretending to be inanimate.

As mentioned above, with the irminias, defensiveness is really about giving them the option to run and hide -- if they feel they have that choice they generally prefer it to standing their ground and threat posing.

All of them have been a joy to keep.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What you’ve read is correct Avics/versi are the most laid back of the group listed

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Hello, I was just wondering about the behavioral differences between Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, and Caribena species. I know Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius species are known to be skittish and more defensive, and I have heard Avics and Caribenas are more laid back, easier for beginners, but I have also heard they can sometimes be skittish and defensive. Can anyone who has some experience with any or all of these species provide some insight on which species are more relaxed or more skittish? Thanks.
I've kept both Avicularia and Psalmopoeus. Never kept a Caribena and I've ironically never actually heard of the Tapinauchenius genus and I'll probably do a boat-load of research after this post.

My experience with Avicularia has been wonderful, as I still my adult female I've raised since a small juvenile. When my Avic. was smaller, she was more skittish and would prefer to walk away and was relatively "docile" when it came to external stimuli. Also, was not very food aggressive and despite being hungry would often actively avoid food. However, after my Avic hit around the 3 inches mark, she had a complete 180 in behavior. She became very food aggressive and much more skittish/defensive. She's a little over 4 inches DLS now and I've gotten numerous threat poses, and a bolt outside her enclosure once. Maybe my Avic was just a little spicy? Not sure.

I've owned 2 Psalmopoeus specimens, both P. irminia and unfortunately both passed away. The first passed away last summer to what I assume was DKS, and entered a death curl about a week after I initially purchased it. My second P. irminia again, passed away from what I assume was cross-ventilation, but I have a hard time believing due to my Avic being in the same enclosure for months before and having zero issues. Either way, my first Psalmopoeus was much more of the skittish, bolty type, and my second Psalmopoeus was very ready to stand her ground and fight. My second Psalmopoeus gave me a run for my money constantly whether it was just opening the lid to fill her water dish, or dropping feeders in. Definitely not a beginner species or beginner arboreal...

Overall my experience with both have been great but I do prefer Avicularia over Psalmopoeus. The main difference is definitely willingness to be defensive and speed. While my Avic is still pretty spicy and defensive at times, she's still nowhere near as fast and just generally angry as either of my Psalmopoeus'. Both are amazing species.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
My 2 versi slings are chill bugs. They both are finicky eaters after molting though.

My little A huriana sling is the cutest little thing. Always on a walk about and eats very well. The sub adult female avic avic I just acquired is a sweetie too. Literally the most gentle rehouse I've ever done.

I recently got into psalmopoeus sp. I had an AF cambridgei. Stunning spider no doubt. For the 1st three days she was out on full display the whole time. I thought what an awesome T! Then she got comfortable I guess and went into her hide where I never saw her again. Same for the P pulcher I had. So so pretty, never see it. Traded them both for something a little more display friendly.
I do have a P cambridgei sling, reduncus sling and victori sling to raise up and experience. Hopefully they grow up a bit more visually? 🤣

All in all, the psalmopoeus and versi are prettier to me, but the avic has a gentleness that makes me wish I got some sooner.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
These two are supreme eaters and are also two of the very fastest growing genera on the planet, with males maturing in as little as 10 months, and females being ready to breed in just over a year......in that time most avic types would still be in the latter parts of the sling stage at best.
If that ain't the truth..... I got 17 avic slings representing 5 species last May and they're all still in 5.5 oz deli cups. Should call them arboreal Aphonopelma :shifty: ....

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Yet another voice agreeing here. 2 Avics, a C versi and a Y diversepes (not on your list. 1 of the Avics and diversepes are still small slings), and 2 irminia. Avics and versi are super chill. Like Ladyratri, I really had to push my versi out of her old home to get her into her new one. My Avics, as slings, both actively hunt, but my juvie waits in ambush more now. I got lucky in that my P irminias are both very chill, too. My male tolerates spot cleaning, water dish changes and fills with no fuss. Never had a threat pose from him. My female I got as an adult/sub-adult. I was fully prepared for housing her to be an adventure, especially when the vendor who had her on consignment at an expo said, “These are mean!” She turned out to be as easy as an Avic. I gave her a big, elaborate home and she dug a cave under the low leaves beside the cork and lives there. Luckily it’s right up against the glass so I can check on her easily. It’s been about a month since I’ve seen her out. No Tapis here.

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
I have three psalmopoeus species and all are amazing hunters. I can throw a cricket in and not worry about whether they'll get it or not. My avic requires a bit more aim. All my psalmopoeus are okay with light which makes pictures possible but my avic is very shy and darts back to her tunnel at the slightest hint of movement or light. All three psalmopoeus will dig and make web curtains while avic stays well off the ground. Psalmopoeus are really fast though. Especially as slings those things can shoot around like nothing, definitely coming up behind some of my ow for speed. And if course being arboreal they can jump which I didn't know until well over a year of keeping them which was a bit frightening at the time lol.