New to this and don't know where to start

beene

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone
I'm new here and actually came across this board by accident as i was searching for some pics of Japanese Giant Hornets. So let me get to the point...

I used to collect bugs when i was little but i lost interest somehow and read a few posts on this board and have just decided to get back into it again, so can anyone point me in the right direction where to start? Like what invert should i start collecting/breeding and stuff like that....

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
try starting with something nice, easy, simple and impresive.

i whould suggest hissing cockroaches. thay do climb glass, so put a 1 inch barrier of protrolyum jellie around the top to prevent any escapes, and readd it every month or so. feed them bits of apple and fruit, cricket feed, and juse watter cubs, as thay can drownd in watter easlie

beene

Arachnopeon
Never really thought about Roaches, they sort of have a bad reputation, is there anything else any more friendly 'cos me mam won't have Roaches in the house lol

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well seeing as you're in stick territory...I would take advantage of that!
Walking sticks, jungle nymphs, etc are amazing creatures and we are not allowed to have them in the states.
You, however, can keep them legally...and probably will have no trouble finding them.
There is a sight from London called stilktalk with other enthusiasts in Europe contributing great info and all trade insects.

-Brad

beene

Arachnopeon
What about ants, i have no idea what species they are but i have loads around my garden and on the roads in the estate which i live in. Are they easy to breed into a colony? I can also find grasshoppers of somekind on the field a few meters away from my house, are they good food for the ants?
Sort of like this one:

Last edited:

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like you have some thinking to do. What are you interested in? It's difficult to get a good answer when you post "Would someone please tell me what bug to keep." That is a decision you have to decide. Pick one and look for husbandry info by posting about what you have chosen.

beene

Arachnopeon
Well, i like millipedes but i don't think that i can find them around this area, i found 1 about 2 years ago and never seen another 1 since, so i'll have to get back to you on that one.

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are kidding, right? I want to keep bugs, but want you all to tell me what I should keep.

In that case, don't keep them at all. If you don't know what it is you are interested in, how should we? I find my interests swinging from tarantulas to scorps to other arachnids and back again through the cycle. My buying habits change from cycle to cycle, but ultimately, I know what I like.

do you?

If millis are your thing, then go get one AFTER you have read about their proper care, of course.