New to the hobby and interested!

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i got a emperor a few months ago and he (or she i have no idea but am interested to know) is the best invert i have ever kept! he actually moves around! that's a new and great plus from the other inverts i've had, who found a nice spot and sat there....and sat there..and sat there. i got over my initial paranoia within a few days and now i'm not really terrified of him...just really really respectfull and cafeful no to get to close or tick him off. i've had him for a while now and am interested in another beatiful scorp! ne suggestions would be appreciated! i have been lookin into a flat rock or a desert hairy, i'm not to interested in a asian forest scorp, i think they look to much like emperors and i want a little variation. i'm also currently interested in a solifugid, i like seeing my scorp feed and they sound very entertaining. please reply! :)

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got 2 desert hairys and I am not to disapointed with them. They seem to be lazy but not as bad as emps. I also got 3 Arizona Striped-Tail Scorpions (Vaejovis spinigerus). They are also lazy but are fun to watch when they eat because they continually sting. Im looking into getting another few scorps this week. Not really sure what though..

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Might wanna check out a smeringurus maesensis (sp?).

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thx for the suggestions! i'll look into those species and try to make a decision. btw, does ne one know how i can sex my emp? i don't have another to compare it too so i don't have ne idea how to do it...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Go with a Desert Hairy. I think they are about the best beginner scorps out there. Very hardy, decent size and fairly active (as far as scorps go)

To sex your Emp, you need to look at the underneath side at the pectine. It looks like a comb. Males are longer with more "teeth"

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Go with a Desert Hairy. I think they are about the best beginner scorps out there. Very hardy, decent size and fairly active (as far as scorps go)

To sex your Emp, you need to look at the underneath side at the pectine. It looks like a comb. Males are longer with more "teeth"

Is there a certain amount of "teeth" that males have and a certain amount females have? My emps pectine seem to be pretty long so I figure he is a male. His name is Garth so I hope he or it is a male. :confused:

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i know i gave mine a male name too. i'll have to look around to see how to sex him ( or her :eek: ) i'll try to post some pics soon of him, his tank, and some of my other creepy crawlies!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
prang11 said:
Is there a certain amount of "teeth" that males have and a certain amount females have? My emps pectine seem to be pretty long so I figure he is a male. His name is Garth so I hope he or it is a male. :confused:
I'm not sure about the teeth count but you will see a big difference between the male and female if seen together for comparison.

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brian S said:
that's my problem lol this is the first scorp i've had, i have nothing to compare it to :( i don't know whats long and what's short, i'll try to get a picture of his underside for u guys ( not easy ) and post it so u can tell me if he's a she :) . i'll have to snap a shot while he is trying to crawl up the glass on my tank, otherwise getting a shoot off his belly would really stress him out and a stressed scorp is the last thing i want on my hands.

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
upon further inspection i think he really is a he, but i'm not entirely sure. i'll keep working on those pics and let you all decide. :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
such a harmless link, but so dodgy looking :p

i'm not to interested in a asian forest scorp
grrr, one day you will change your mind :D

not sure if anyone mentioned Babycurus jacksoni?
youll like it, if your emp moves alot, then this thing is on fire!

Attachments

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thx for the great link space hawk! i've got a clear look at the underside and...drumroll please....he's a she! wow! does ne1 know of ne cool girl scorpion names? i'm drawing a blank lol. i dunno if i will be able to get those pics btw, the camera's really acting up...so....it's a girl! :D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
not really...invertcare has them listed as a 2/5 (i saw them listed as a 3/5 somewhere but haven't seen it since), possible systemic effects but not like a Parabuthus or Hottentotta. I got 6 of them as my first scorpions, I don't find mine to be overly active either once they settle in to their enclosure. Will see them sitting out in the open sometimes...and they can be very fast too. Fun to watch them catch crickets as they love to sting their prey :)

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
does ne one know what the common name is that i should look for? no one's thought of a name?...hmm...poo...i still can't think of one.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The common name for B jacksoni is Red or Rusty Thicktail. Believe me, use the scientific name as you will be better off. ;)

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
The common name for B jacksoni is Red or Rusty Thicktail. Believe me, use the scientific name as you will be better off. ;)
Speaking of common names, a friend of mine thought he bought Androctonus australis when he instead got B. jacksoni. They were sold as yellow thicktail and the seller told him it was Androctonus australis.

My first tarantula was sold as "Pink wolly" and I still don't really know what species she was ;)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ive seen them sold as "tanzanian bark scorpion" also (this is in the UK)

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i don't think that i'll get a thick tall for a while now, i don't feel THAT confident in my scorp keeping skills yet. but i'm goin today to get a desert hairy or a flat rock...maybe both, i have some persuasion power today since it's my birthday! :D