New to tarantulas

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's already optimized for mobile!

Plus, I doubt mods have any control over it. Sounds more like the forum platform's "problem" to solve.
Tapatalk is a far faster platform. Also, what do mods have anything to do with this???

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Tapatalk is a far faster platform. Also, what do mods have anything to do with this???
You tagged a mod. And I used to use Tapatalk... can't say it was significantly better than this forum is now. It had some neat features, sure, but nothing that makes me miss it daily.

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
I was just saying to bad it wasn't there because I always have thay app open to talk to my buddies from the aquaria trade I networked with, we brought a few species of eriocaulen plant into the u.s. from the UK. A few shrimp species from japan. Very fulfilling to provide new species to any hobby

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
Business standard is three business days to respond to an email. This thread isn't even that old, and I have an hunch that you didn't email them until yesterday ;)
Yeah I sent the email yesterday at work

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I have found that many of the suppliers are slow to respond on emails. I suspect the majority do this as second jobs since it is very hard to do this as your exclusive income. They always check emails before making shipments and coordinate when you want delivery if you do make an order. Most online retailers publish days of the week used for shipments on their websites.

I have ordered from both Swifts and Fear Not Tarantulas. Both are trustworthy and provide a quality product. @cold blood, @JoeRossi (see the classifieds), Arachnoiden, Pincher's & Pokies, Pet Center, Jamie's Tarantulas, Net-Bug have all made good deliveries with quality product to me. All of them vary on the species available so you may need to look at alternatives if you don't find what you want.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Although I had a scorpion and a wolf spider for a couple of years, I am new to the hobby of T's as well, and I have purchased from two dealers/sellers so far. My first purchase was from Jamie's Tarantulas where I got a B. Albopilosum and B. Vagans slings with enclosures (which I modified slightly to add more ventilation). Aside from a carrier delay and an issue with my local post office (which is in no way a fault of the supplier), I'm thrilled with my little slings from Jamie. They're active, healthy, and VORACIOUS eaters. Plus, the shipping cost was great. I have also purchased (at a SUPER low price, too) and am anticipating shipment on 3 a. avics from a private seller here on the forums, Casey K. She and other sellers have ads in the forum classifieds. Just make sure you read seller reviews and research the person or company before purchasing. I've heard and discovered some nasty information about some places (although none I've seen mentioned in this thread), so be careful when you buy.

P.S. I've also heard good things about JR's Inverts and plan to make a purchase from them in the future. Plus, they've got freebies!

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
What's upppppp!!!!!
I'm not new to husbandry and know what it ultimately takes to care for a pet properly. I've had fish tanks since I was 7 ranging from Salt water reef tanks to co2 injected high tech planted tanks. I've bred everything from dwarf shrimp like black king Kong, to guppies, to dwarf cichlids.

But I wanted to get into something else and I seen petco selling slings, I know i know don't buy from petco. But I also don't have 200 to spend for a sling or spider Ling from private breeders. So off to petco I shall go. I'm thinking about getting a red rump, a pink toe, I forget the other one I was thinking about getting. But my questions are these.

Arboreal or terrestrial? Tropical or arrid? Borrower? What would be some of the best options for a first time tsrantula. And in that respect I'm a naturalist. I love to provide the most natural environment for my pets as possible hence the reef tanks and planted tanks. Biotopes if you will. What type of plants coincide with the spider you recommend from the same region and are readily available.

Thank you guys!!!!!
I am new to Twitter as well! Waiting for my first sling to arrive when weather warms up. I got a Pink Salmon Bird Eater!

Peavey91

Arachnopeon
Yeah the weather is pretty bad in the bay area California rn. I would necessarily want to subject a sling to this weather. Even ordering aquatic fish and plants I coordinated with my suppliers across the US to ensure survivablity.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Just my 2 cents to throw in - new to the hobby, about 6 months in.

Slings are easy to take care of as long as you don't mind buying small/pinhead feeders for them. Prekilled works as long as they are not huge feeders.

Avics were my first juvenile sized spiders - listen to the husbandry advice here (overflowed water dish with ALOT of vertical ventilation) I haven't had any problems yet.

Out of the spiders I currently own my juvie B. albopilosum is my favorite, she is quite skittish as most brachy's are when young and loves to use half her substrate to fill in one side of her burrow, but she is a great eater and would much rather kick hairs on me and run away than bite me.

My picks for first spiders would be a juvie sized (2"+) brachypelma or grammastola genus. They are semi-arid to arid species, all you need is a water dish (overflow based on species specific husbandry) and a hide, and they are generally great eaters unless in pre-molt so new T owners won't worry that "OMG my spider hasn't eaten in a month!"

Also, most acanthoscurria/aphonopelmas would fit this as well, but their temperaments vary.

I love my E. red sling to death but he hasn't molted in 3 months, they are extremely slow growing, painfully so.