new to tarantulas

torrie

Arachnopeon
Help

Hi,
I am new to this forum stuff. However I do read these threads for info on my t. She is a chilean rose. She is my third one. I had a couple of them about 15 years ago. I was only 16 and don't quite recall what substrate I used... So I ask the reptile guy at petco and he gives me this wood chip stuff..She seemed to really like it but I was reading that it is really dangerous so I got some eco earth (not the brick, the already dried stuff in the bag). She hates it! Will not walk on it. When I put her back in her tank she clung to the glass for dear life. She will get on her log cover, but thats it. Why? Another question.. When I was bringing her home from the pet store she had clear drops of water like liquid dripping from her fangs. I DO NOT HANDLE HER. Last night when I put her back in her lovely, revamped, safe, enclosure, while clinging to the glass more of that liquid was coming from her fangs. Lots of it. Venom? She also climbs alot more than I remember my other t's climbing. Normal?

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Torrie, you should start a new thread in Tarantula Chat to we can keep this one in line with the original posters questions. You will probably be able to get alot more help as well

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'll chime in and agree about the burrowing. both of my smithi (and all of my Brachypelma, save bohemei) burrowed from the 1" when i got them, and just stopped i think somewhere around 3" mark.

i've found they're incredibly easy to take care of, easier than rosea since they don't insist on perfectly dry sub. combined with the fact they are usually out when bigger, and will eat like its going out of style, they make for a great beginner sp. i have a vagans right now with a massive bum because apparently he found a roach in his sub (or three) i missed.

vagans and albopilosum seem to grow at quicker rates than smithi and bohemei. i haven't kept any of the others like emilia, auratum or klaasi.

anything eles i need to know
they can be at times, incredibly boring once you've started dealing with other Ts :p

also, some people find Brachypelma hairs itch like mad, so if you find your among those that do, i'd not expose myself to their u-hairs repeatedly. for me the reaction has gotten worse as the months have gone by, and i rarely mess with my Brachypelma anymore. not everyone has this reaction though and some people don't mind so ymmv.

beautiful creatures though. lovely to take photos of.

Creeperella

Arachnopeon
My G. Rosea is also a pet rock most of the time, not really doing much but standing in the same place.
I am a big fan of anything avicularia, either a. avicularia or a. versicolor, but it is really up to you whether you want aboreal or terrestrial.
I would most likely go with a more docile T, one that you won't have to be too cautious around.
Good luck! {D

colicabcadam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
get a goliath bird eating spider, they don't stop eating easy to care for, bit of a pain to handle though unless you've had it from young

Amoeba

Arachnolord
get a goliath bird eating spider, they don't stop eating easy to care for, bit of a pain to handle though unless you've had it from young
I'm going to go on a venture here that you're talking about the Lasiodora parahybana because I've never heard someone recommend a T. blondi for a newbie

stronghold49

Arachnopeon
Hello, I recentley read your post and I highly reccomend starting with the brachypelma family such as Smithi, albaceps, flameknee(skittish) I would get any of these before the g. rosea. the common rose hair T's are moody and they swing personalites alot.

sebeed

Arachnopeon
I would recommend a G. rosea, you should be able to find one at your local pet store. Here is a link to the forums that tells you all about the care they need.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292
good god, dont get a g rosea as a first T if you intend to handle it. Grammostola Sp are notorious for epic mood swings, they can be super docile then they may be super aggressive or then they may be super skittish. I hear B Smithi's and Avicularia avicularia are quite good for beginners but unfortunatly ive never had either :(

andrew the T

Arachnopeon
so i found a breeder from el paso where i am from so i dont have to order it so probably this month or next month ill have a brachypelma smithi

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

oh and they are new world tarantulas right

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Yes B. smithi are New World they come from Mexico.

Brachys are known to be hair kickers but you could end up with a cuddly puppy or tarantula satan.

and to DannyH he said he found a breeder so it's captive bred.