New to keeping. Doing it right?

Basweegen

Arachnopeon
Hello!! I am new to tarantulas and spiders in general. I am working on my degree in environmental science with focus on restoration ecology. I love animals and the creepy critters that get no love by peasants and muggles. Got addicted and planing on getting more tarantulas after my housing is correct. What do you think of my enclosure. Too big for this little T? It’s a A. calcodes Mexican variation. I am going to get more leaf and moss to put in there. I just rehoused in this container cause the soil was too wet for my liking. I also got a pumpkin patch Hapolosis Sp columbia. Any notes for someone new to the hobby? F881394C-BD02-4F9B-9AB6-F34B38496B2F.jpeg
New enclosure 0B22F4C1-D10A-4F91-9859-30F6634CD7D2.jpeg
pumpkin patch
58B7B422-D6CC-43D5-A4D1-11994430ECBB.jpeg
First molt from A. calcodes.

ChaniLB520

Arachnosquire
It looks pretty good to me! Nice spiders! The only thing I am curious about is the rock in the bottom lefthand corner of the A. chalcodes enclosure. I understand it is recommended not to use anything too heavy, like most rocks, in case the T were to burrow underneath it and it fell on them. It looks like you have a slice of agate in the top right? That's probably not too heavy. I might just consider the weight of the rock and use your judgment. That's all I can see, but I am still relatively (2 years) new to the hobby as well, so perhaps someone else would chime in with something I didn't notice!

Basweegen

Arachnopeon
I don’t mind taking them out. The gray one I been thinking about and place dried and sterilized.Thank you very much for the reply :) next check going to get me a Brazilian Black and or and G.pulchrips at the pet store near by

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Size is appropriate. Generous on floor space and hard to tell depth. Substrate could stand to be packed but lookin good.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks fine- you put the stones in an autoclave? If not, they are not sterile. Nor do they need to be truly sterile.

Basweegen

Arachnopeon
Looks fine- you put the stones in an autoclave? If not, they are not sterile. Nor do they need to be truly sterile.
Unfortunately don’t have that geological equipment lol just boiled in hot soapy water for 40 mins. Would be nice to have an autoclave though 😁

Size is appropriate. Generous on floor space and hard to tell depth. Substrate could stand to be packed but lookin good.
image.jpg