New to handling

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let's simmer down now... yes it is dumb to let a baby handle a T. But don't turn the thread into a stone throwing match. PLEASE don't let them continue to let someone that young handle tarantulas. They can risk themselves as much as they like :)

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMO handle as much as you like and do it smartly, get it out of your system as the novelty of it wears off after a while.

(bites also motivate you to stop handling lol)

Wow. I feel sorry for those who have to deal with your idiocy.
I think there is a rule about personal attacks; just a heads up.

I'm all for proper handling, but are you for real? Letting a one year old hold any tarantula, especially those species you mentioned, is plain reckless. I'm sure that would constitute child endangerment in many regions.
What nanny state do you live in? That is absurd. Is it any more(less) dangerous teaching your kid how to drive? Teaching them to shoot? Rock Climb? There are many activities which are perfectly safe under direct supervision which have a risk associated with them.

But, you don't see people crying out "child endangerment" at every activity where there is potential for harm.

Where does it end?

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it any more(less) dangerous teaching your kid how to drive? Teaching them to shoot? Rock Climb? There are many activities which are perfectly safe under direct supervision which have a risk associated with them.
Get real. Are those activities you mentioned something you teach to a one year old? Ace was talking about letting a one year old handle OBTs and Pokies. If you think there's nothing wrong with that then you need your head examined.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe he said it was a 1 year old. How many 1 year old children do you know that can react properly when a tarantula darts up it's arm? Or what happens when it flicks u hairs that the child breaths in causing an allergic reaction? There's a proper age to introduce a child to tarantulas. Like driving, and firearms.

IMO handle as much as you like and do it smartly, get it out of your system as the novelty of it wears off after a while.

(bites also motivate you to stop handling lol)

I think there is a rule about personal attacks; just a heads up.

What nanny state do you live in? That is absurd. Is it any more(less) dangerous teaching your kid how to drive? Teaching them to shoot? Rock Climb? There are many activities which are perfectly safe under direct supervision which have a risk associated with them.

But, you don't see people crying out "child endangerment" at every activity where there is potential for harm.

Where does it end?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was remarking on the child endangerment bit. Not the specific age.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was remarking on the child endangerment bit. Not the specific age.
I know. And age is a factor when it comes to handling animals. You don't put a toddler with a snake, nor should you hand a pokie to an infant because you are endangering the child needlesly.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
handling is overrated

I say just let the little guy handle to his heart content, eventually his desire to handle will diminish. Happened to me and plenty other keepers, once that happened I became a huge fan of deli cups.

handling isn't that hard. Simply don't present yourself as a threat. I've handled many "defensive" species.

I've had a few pokies and obts run up my arm, and I thought well why it's their why not. But never on purpose.

As said before by other members once you can get a tarantula outside of the enclosure they mellow out, even old world. Just use your common sense, if you get bit, its your fault.