New to board+photos

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have found two millipedes in my area that I would like to identify. Does anyone recognize these? I photographed both at about 6,500 feet outside Cali, Colombia. I've been told locally the bite of the first produces a pretty nasty reaction. I know nothing about the second one but wonder if the bright colors function as a warning like the colors of poison arrow frogs. Both are maybe 14 cm long but I haven't measured them. Any info would be most welcome.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
millipedes don't bite or have venom for that mater. as for an Id, the first is a polydesmid of some kind(flat millipede), and the sencond one I have no clue

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

8 leg wonder said:
millipedes don't bite or have venom for that mater. as for an Id, the first is a polydesmid of some kind(flat millipede), and the sencond one I have no clue
i disagree with you. Millipeds/ Diplopoda have venom, exspecially flat millipeds/poldesmida too (some species HCN). They produce it in the skin so you have to wash your fingers after handling them (oh what a bad english), species that produce HCN should not be handled.
Greetings,
Sebastian :D

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What is HCN and any help on identification of the above animals? Any sources for South American/Colombian myriopods?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
SebastianH said:
Hi,

i disagree with you. Millipeds/ Diplopoda have venom, exspecially flat millipeds/poldesmida too (some species HCN). They produce it in the skin so you have to wash your fingers after handling them (oh what a bad english), species that produce HCN should not be handled.
Greetings,
Its not a venom inflicted from a bite, but a chemical released as a defence mechanism to ward off preditors. Its not harmful it just stinks.

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

ok, your right. It is not a venom in the case of a typical toxin of other venomeus (there are toxin macromolekular). But in my opinion you could say it is a venom, because it could be letal (exspecially by Polydesmida) to predators of these species.
Greetings,

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
beautiful pedes! did you collect them to raise or just let em go on their marry little way? :?

strat321

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hcn

hello-

HCN = hydrogen cyanide. a rather nasty poison.

not sure, but if you licked a bunch of millipedes, maybe you might be in trouble?!? :embarrassed:

The 2nd milli looks like the anaboleus (spelling?) group. the puerto rican black and yellows or the PR black and yellow banded. yours has yellow legs though.

nice photos. :clap:

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Sebastion don't apologize for your English. I'ts a lot better than my German. BH after getting their portraits done they went on there merry way. And thanks for the clue strat I'll research anaboleas. Here's a site that gives the scoop on bites etc. Keep those milis away from your eyes and don't tangle with centis!

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/ENVIRONMENTAL.htm