New tarantula help

Pink Toes Rock

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am a new tarantula owner and I am getting worried over basic things.

I bought my Pink Toe a week agp
When should the web be built? When should it eat/how do I know it ate?
I know these are basic things but I am panicking anyway
Please help

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Hello, your trantula will build its web exactly as fast as it wants to. My C. Cyaneopubescens took a couple weeks to have a significant amount of web when I first got him.

I feed my tarantulas about once every other week. I feed them a prey item about the same size as their "head".

Trust me a tarantula does exactly at its own pace. Very different then your average pet.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Please help
Web construction takes time, and it differs depending on the individual and species. Just leave it be with minimum interruptions and it will do its thing in no time. As for feeding, you will know it ate if your feeders are disappearing, unless your using burrowing prey. Try pre killed and if it's gone in the morning then you know it's eating...

Jason B

Arachnosquire

Please help
Its web should be constructed the day after tomorrow between the times of 2:15 and 2:45. If it misses this deadline please kindly inform it that its efforts must be doubled.;):D

Like Nightstalker47 said it varies by the species and the individual, there is no cause for concern. Its not like they use the webs to catch food. If your using something that will burrow you might want to consider pinhead crickets. Avics don't always take to pre-killed food another thing that is up to the individual. But best way to find out is crush the head of whatever your feeders are and place it in the enclosure find out what happens.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Please help
Pics of the T and the setup would help us better answer your questions, it also helps if you know the scientific name of the animal in question as "Pink Toe" could refer to any number of species across different genera and some behave slightly differently to others although they all have similar care requirements.

That being said, it'll start webbing once it's settled in and feels safe, both of my C. versicolors started webbing things up within 24hrs of housing them, my A. variegata took about a week or so to start webbing, my A. avicularia (who's unfortunately not with me anymore) took over a month before it laid down more than the odd strand of silk here and there.

Feeding schedule depends on the size of the T, I feed:

- Slings = every 3 days until they hit 2"
- Juveniles (2"+) = once every 7-10 days until it hits subadult sizes
- Subadults/adults = once every 2 weeks

I try to keep prey size smaller than the Ts abdomen.

It'd help if you told us what feeders you're using as well so we can advise on that but the ones I own are all pretty good eaters and will take prey pretty much straight away unless in premoult.

boina

Lady of the mites
From all the answers here I'm seeing a trend: Does A. avic always wait the longest time before starting to web? Because mine did too, whereas A. huriana, C. versicolor and Y. diversipes started within the first day.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
From all the answers here I'm seeing a trend: Does A. avic always wait the longest time before starting to web? Because mine did too, whereas A. huriana, C. versicolor and Y. diversipes started within the first day.
My A. avic had a hammock in the very top back corner 2 hours after rehousing. Aaaand ive seen it outside of it once since then.

cold blood

Staff member
Slings tend to web quickly...but how quickly often depends on how well its enclosure is set up...proper enclosures generally see a t webbing pretty quickly, even A. avic slings...But yeah, adults or even sub-adults will often only web just before molting.

Post pics of the enclosure...only then can you be properly helped.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen a wide variety across species, localities and sacmates of both groups. If there's a true difference simply due to species, I've never witnessed. I'd be surprised if there was, but I never count out Mother Nature giving me a surprise/exception.

I can say that N. incei webup EXTREMELY quickly, fasted of any species I've owned.

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Oh don't worry too much. Give her time to settle down. She'll be webbing and eating in no time. Can u believe my T didn't eat for 6 months? But I knew she was fine because she was always plump and drank water :happy:

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Make sure you clean the bolus' when they're done eating. Post a pic of the enclosure as well, we can help you accommodate your T that way.