NEW T TONIGHT!!!!!!....but what????

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im between Cyclosternum fasciatum and avic. avic.

I want to be able to handle the new one. So far I have only held roseas and a seemani. (Was nervous as hell while holding the seemani though...She's quick as hell)
Now, I have heard about the speed of the avic and also about how they can jump. I have also heard about the nervousness and skittishness of the Cyclosternum fasciatum.
I have a real difficult time keeping humidity up in my place.

The Cyclosternum fasciatum is $3 more that the avic.

So which one for a 3rd???

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be honest, I don't think you could really hold a cyclosternum fasciatum. They are skittish and mine flicked a lot of hairs when I first got her (I was unaware that she was in pre-molt at the time). Now that she has her hide, she doesn't do that, she just runs. My avicularia avicularia is fast and jumpy but as sweet as can be. They are quick, though, so you'd have to be prepared for that if you wanted to handle it. My vote is for the avicularia avicularia based on what you are looking for. That doesn't mean I don't like the c.fasciatums, because they are so gorgeous and medium-webbers (mine has a thick layer of webbing all over the entrance to her hide, but not entirely throughout the tank). You'll probably end up getting both in the long run, but for now, I say avic avic. :)

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We all know in the long run I'll have both ;P but I only have $ for one tonight. So avic it is. Unless they sold it. Thanks.

SuperRad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can always get an Avic easy. Go for the Cyclosternum fasciatum and take the other later when you've got some spare cash.

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here he is!!!

Thats right it's a male but from a pet store so I'm not surprised. Hell of a set of "gloves" on it. Every time I opened the box on the ride home I couldn't help but laugh a how teeny it looked compared to my rose hairs. There is just over 150 holes drilled in the purple top for ventilation. Hasn't displayed any speedyness yet rather sluggish actually. Probably really stressed after having kids coming and banging & tapping on the tank all day. (The Ts are kept in the tanks closest to the floor.)

Attachments

Last edited:

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can always get an Avic easy. Go for the Cyclosternum fasciatum and take the other later when you've got some spare cash.
Too late!! I wanted on that was handleable.
But the selling points for the pink toe were the tiger rump had had really pale skin and was going to molt soon.
1 - Since it was about to molt I just wanted leave it and not disturb it
2 - The pet store said the tiger rump was a real meanie and I don't want any meanies....................yet!!

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HOLD ON!!!! Looking at the pics again it seem all its feet have the "gloves".
My mistake...sex unknown.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ya know, to be honest, I'm not quite convinced it's a male, at least not mature, anyway. It seems that my female has pedipalps that look like yours. I think avicularia avicularia sort of have pedipalps that are a little wider on the end than other tarantulas, maybe to help them stick or something. I've seen MM pedipalps on other avics and they just seem much shorter than yours. Get a ventral shot if you can and we'll see what's going on. Now, if it has hooks then obviously it's MM but, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion based on what you have. :)

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK i see that now. But what I was referring to was the bulges on the tips which I'm not seeing on the versi.

(Side note....Since my last post I have handled it twice. It's nice/slow & calm. No threat display, no speedyness, No hairs (pink toes are the ones that don't or can't kick hairs though right???????????)

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In regards to the versi palps, from the picture it looks like he's got them curled up underneath which might be why you can't see the bulbs, but I can tell that they are different than your t's palps. Well, pretty sure anyway.
I think avic avic's can't flick hairs. I could be wrong on that. All I know is that mine is a little nervous but soooo sweet when I'm working with her. I think you made a good choice. :D

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You'll be very happy with your Avic. I have one that I raised from a tiny 1/2" sling. She's one of my favorites.....

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In regards to the versi palps, from the picture it looks like he's got them curled up underneath which might be why you can't see the bulbs, but I can tell that they are different than your t's palps. Well, pretty sure anyway.
I think avic avic's can't flick hairs. I could be wrong on that. All I know is that mine is a little nervous but soooo sweet when I'm working with her. I think you made a good choice. :D
So far I think so too:D Just hope it gets bigger soon. I read 4-5 inches. Could still be young though. Age unknown ESPECIALLY when coming from a pet store{D

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So while this little T is walking from hand to hand I KNEW there was something I forgot about these spiders..................They're poo shooters{D {D {D {D {D {D
They get some nice distance too huh:D Guess it beats being bitten;P

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow, yeah I forgot to warn you about that. My little girl actually shot me there at the store! I had her crawling all over my hand and she turned around and shot me! Luckily it hit the bottom of my scarf so it wasn't a big deal. I know this sounds freaky but I thought it was kind of cute, I just had to buy her after that. You are now an official avicularia keeper! {D

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh wow, yeah I forgot to warn you about that. My little girl actually shot me there at the store! I had her crawling all over my hand and she turned around and shot me! Luckily it hit the bottom of my scarf so it wasn't a big deal. I know this sounds freaky but I thought it was kind of cute, I just had to buy her after that. You are now an official avicularia keeper! {D
Doesn't sound freaky at all. I actually thought it was quite funny. I was amazed at the distance though{D 2-3 inches:clap:

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think avics flick urticating hairs but I think they still have them, I've read they can press them onto you with their abdomen. So take care with her still, you don't want to get them on your hands and then rub your eyes or something :eek:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually avics do have hairs and they can flick them, they just don't tend to. I heard as well that they can rub hairs into you. I've only seen one of my avics flick hairs and it was my adult female avic avic and she was flicking hairs at the male she didn't want to mate with.